NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows XP 64 bit

Does anybody have experience running TestStand on 64-bit Windows XP?

I know, it is not officially supported and as far as I know, all 64-bit support goes in the direction of Windows Vista (which, frankly, does not interest anyone here. The mood seems to be: stick with XP until Windows 7 is around), but perhaps someone tried it anyway on 64-bit XP.

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,557 Views)
TestStand should generally run ok as a 32-bit program on 64-bit windows xp, however it will not be able to directly call into 64-bit code. Also you might want to verify that there are 64-bit XP versions of whatever drivers you require.

-Doug
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,544 Views)

Thanks a lot. Yes, the driver issue is clear.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,512 Views)

Have to return to that message once again to clarify something in my mind. What exactly does "directly call into 64-bit code" mean? What will I be able to call from the 32-bit-TestStand on a 64-bit-machine?

I assume that calls into 32-bit DLLs, ActiveXs and .NET assemblies are fine. I guess that executable calls running 64-bit executables will also be OK. What about calls into 64-bit-compiled DLLs and .NET assemblies?

Regards

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,192 Views)

You will not be able to directly call 64-bit dlls and .NET assemblies that require being used as 64-bit (dotnet code can be set to use "Any CPU" so when called from 32-bit code it's 32-bit and 64-bit code it's 64-bit). You can call 64-bit COM servers (at least with TestStand 4.2) if they are external process exe servers or if you use a surrogate process if they are .dll servers.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

Message 5 of 6
(3,188 Views)

Yes, that helps a lot.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,184 Views)