Next Steps - LabVIEW RIO Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to LabVIEW sbRIO

Hello all

not sure if this is in the right place or not!

I have been a Labview user for about a year now, using for university projects mainly after doing Core 1 & 2 courses last year.

I purchased a sbRio Evaluation Kit which I used with the BYOES Workshop when NI came to my University for training, it is the latest model with screen etc.

Due to other commitments the kit has been stored since until last night, as I now have a bit of free time.

I spent a couple of hours installing the extras from the supplied DVD in Labview 2011 and managed to get connected after a bit of trial and error! I have managed to get a program running on the board from exercises 2 and 3 rom the BYOES solutions so all working ok! I plan on starting back at the start and going through the BYOES training at a pace where I can investigate each step to see exacally what is being done as think this will be a great piece of equipment for my career.

The main reason I am writing is to see if any one has any tips / guidance which could be of use before I tackle further?

Many thanks

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,610 Views)

Hi Darren,

This is definitely the right place! I'm glad to hear your kit is up and running and that you now have a chance to run through the tutorial yourself after the first time at the BYOES Workshop. I can offer a few suggestions.

The tutorial exercises have a code skeleton so you "fill in the blanks" with your code. To take it to the next level, I would recommend trying to add and test some unique functionality outside of the step by step instructions, building on the existing exercises. Whether editing some of the existing I/O, or using some of the daughtercard items that aren't used in the exercises (digital lines, encoder, Analog Out, etc.) this will help you get confident in your own programming before starting a project from template or scratch.

Also, in this community group, there are links to additional exercises for the kit, and other example projects to work from to get familiar with other common tasks. Feel free to post any additional questions on here or the LabVIEW Real-Time or FPGA discussion forums.

Finally, use the CompactRIO Developer's Guide as your reference, it is the best resource for RIO programming!

Thanks!

Deborah Y.

Deborah Burke
NI Hardware and Drivers Product Manager
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,598 Views)