cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-1010 not identified in MAX PCIe-8361

Maarc,

You can reference the MXI troubleshooting guide:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/53268/en/

The first section, for computers that don't boot, tells you to change one of the switches and install the MXI-Express BIOS Compatibility Software.  That should work for you; let me know if it doesn't.

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,023 Views)

Thank you for your fast feedback, Robert.

I'm now using a normal tower where I've admin rights, updated BIOS, Windows 7 and the latest versions of NI software.

Also, I've tried the MXI-Express Compatibility Software guide.

Although with the Compatibility trick now it goes through the BIOS, it still gets stuck when loading the initial Windows logo if PXI interface is connected (I let it there for several minutes, just in case it needed time).

If unplugging the PXI interface before starting the computer. And plugging it once Windows is loaded I can see the following (see attachment).

1) MAX will show only the PCIe-8361 but would not offer the option to perform any test or see further properties

2) Device Manager would report "Code 12" for the 2 new devices found (the once with exclamation mark)

3) There are 7 PXI cards connected, and I also did get the warning "Limited number bus detected" when installing the Compatibility fix.

Do you have any further ideas?

Best regards,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,012 Views)

Marc,

What you're describing sounds like a hardware problem since multiple machines are hanging (either in POST or Windows logo screen), and it's hanging with the compatibility driver installed.

When you power the chassis after the PC then you won't be able to see anything in the chassis except the first layer of bridges (as you reported).  MAX can't test the PCIe-8361, so that's also expected.  The limited number of buses isn't often a problem for non-Express chassis, so that warning is unlikely to affect you (your PXI system is probably using 4 additional bus numbers, far fewer than the 30-40 used by a PXI Express system).

Have you tried booting with an empty chassis (except for the PXI-8360)?  What chassis are you using?

- Robert

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,002 Views)

Hi Robert,

Thank you again for your reply and information provided.

The rack contains several cards from Aeroflex. I may have the chance to bring a similar rack by the end of the week to the lab. Let me come back to the forum after trying with the other set of equipment.

Regards,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(993 Views)

Hi Marc,

I work for Cobham Wireless ( previously Aeroflex ). We have seen issues with PC's before booting HW but as previously mentioned the comparability SW normally fixes the issues. Can you say what Aeorflex modules you have in the rack?

I'll speak to a few colleges who have also seen this issue and see if they have any suggestions.

Regards,

Gordon.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(990 Views)

Hi Gordon,

Our rack is composed of (from left to right):

. NI PXI-8360

. and Aeroflex 3011, 3026C, 3010, 3035C, 3010, 3035C

There is a switch in the front of the rack. Regardless of its position, its LED would always be ON (also the NI PXI-8360 power LED would be always ON, and the rear fans running).

Regards,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(983 Views)

Hi Marc,

We have seen an issue which is caused by an incompatibility between NI VISA and Cobham/Aeroflex Module drivers. Can you tell me the version of NI VISA and the version of the Cobham Module Drivers you're using?

Regards,

Gordon.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(981 Views)

Hi Gordon,

Below you will find the versions used for the server installation (~2012-2013) and the recent one (tower).

Also, because we have a replica of the R5400 server without the Aeroflex software installed onto it. I can tell you that one can observe the same behavior described in my previous posts (actually, Windows logo stops at the very same point of the animation in both servers!).

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

Marc

Dell Precision R5400 (server):

x NI VISA 5.2
 x NI PXI Platform Services 3.2

x Aeroflex PXI Studio 2.2.0
 x Aeroflex PXI SelfTest 1.3.0

Asus Z87-K (tower):

x NI VISA 16.0
 x NI PXI Platform Services 16.0

x Aeroflex PXI Studio 2.5.0
 x Aeroflex PXI SelfTest 1.6.0
 x Aeroflex PXI Module Software 8.9.0
 x Aeroflex PXI Maestro 2.7.0

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 22
(979 Views)

Hi Marc,

Can you upgrade to 8.10.0 of the Cobham module drivers. The NI VISA version you require is anything greater than 5.1.1 and so VISA 5.2 or version 16 should work.

The next thing I would check do is try the bios compatibility fix?  This requires installing an NI patch and changing a dip switch on the PCI-8361.

http://www.ni.com/download/mxi-express-bios-compatibility-software-1.5/3764/en/

See the read me with the install.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Gordon.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 22
(976 Views)

Hi Gordon,

I did install 8.9 module drivers because they are the latest I found:

http://ats.aeroflex.com/support/technical-support/product-support-documents/modules-software/aerofle...

Maybe you could provide a link for the 8.10 version?

Regarding the Bios compatibility fix Robert did also point us. We recently performed it, as stated few posts above.

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(972 Views)