PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

testing transistors woth SMU 4130

Hi

I need to test transistors characteristics (for example Ide=f(Vde)|when Vbe=const)
I have SMU 4130.
Please tell me how to connect the transistor to the SMU.
For example, if I use the transistor bc847a, and I want to test it with the front panel of the SMU, how should I connect it, and how to set the parameters?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,020 Views)
Hi -

Check out this tutorial.  Although it specifically describes FETs instead of BJTs it should still provide some useful insight.  On the last picture (Figure 6) you will see a wiring diagram for a BJT such as the bc847a.  Connect the base to channel 0+, connect the collector to channel 1+, and tie the emitter to the negative terminal of both channels.

The next question is software.  You can use the NI-DCPower Soft Front Panel to set individual values for Vbe (or Ibe) and Vce and then measure the Vce, but to get a picture of how collector current behaves as a function of voltage then you'd really be much better off using NI SignalExpress or NI LabVIEW as mentioned in the tutorial linked above.  If you have LabVIEW, there is already an example program shown to complete such a sweep.  If you do not have LabVIEW, SignalExpress (which comes with the NI-DAQmx driver) can also accomodate the same functionality.  I've attached a SignalExpress project that performs sweeps on an IRF350N FET, but you can customize this to work with a variety of FETs or BJTs.

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Travis W

Message Edited by Travis W on 08-01-2008 10:25 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,014 Views)