Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mating and mezzanine considerations with new sbRIO-9607

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of developing a converter based on the sbRIO-9606 + GPIC mezzanine (NI 9683) + in-house developed mating board.

I would like to know how much of the hardware could be reused if I chose to migrate the system to the new sbRIO-9607. Is the 9683 board still valid or will there be a new mezzanine version? In the latter case, would we also need to redesign our mating board?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,660 Views)

Hi dfjuggler,

The NI GPIC is compatible with the sbRIO-9607, so you can directly reuse the NI 9683 GPIC and your mating board with the newer, higher performance Single-Board RIO.

BMac explained this in his recent post announcing the release of the sbRIO-9607:

BMac wrote:

The sbRIO-9607 Zynq-7020 controller is compatible with the NI 9683 GPIC RIO mezzanine card (RMC), so you can either upgrade existing GPIC power conversion control systems by replacing the sbRIO-9606 controller with the sbRIO-9607, or you can purchase a new sbRIO-9607 + NI 9683 GPIC control and I/O system combination. Order the sbRIO-9607 Dev Kit, NI 9683 GPIC, and the required sbRIO-9607 thermal kit (NI P/N 153901-02). Note that LabVIEW 2015 and the latest CompactRIO 15.0 or higher drivers are required.

Regards,

Spex

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,413 Views)

The NI 9683 I/O board and your custom interface board are completely reusable with the new sbRIO-9607 Zynq-7020 controller. Backwards compatibility is a key feature of the new sbRIO-9607 controller. Simply power down, ground yourself and the system for static, remove the four screws holding down the sbRIO-9606, plug in and screw down the new sbRIO-9607. Now you've got 3 times the DSP computing, 2X the reconfigurable logic fabric, dual core ARM processors, and the open source Real-Time Linux OS including Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux), with open source Eclipse C/C++ or LabVIEW Real-Time programming options for the ARM microprocessors. In other words, you are on the forefront of technology with brands like Linux, ARM and Zynq all for the same price as the previous generation sbRIO GPIC control system.

Here are steps to update your LabVIEW code to the new sbRIO-9607 with the Zynq FPGA fabric and ARM RT Linux RTOS.

1. Install LabVIEW 2015, the latest CompactRIO drivers, and Xilinx Compilation Tools for Vivado. Support for the sbRIO-9607 is not available in older versions of LabVIEW. For download links and instructions, see the announcement at the top of the ni.com/powerdev community site titled "What tools do I need to get started developing power conversion equipment?".

2. Assemble your sbRIO-9607 GPIC stack, connect it to your Ethernet router/switch, power it on and connect your development computer to the same router/switch using a copper Ethernet cable. This ensures that your development computer and the sbRIO-9607 GPIC are on the same subnet. Disable WiFi so there is only on connection. Launch NI MAX (Measurement and Automation Explorer).

3. Using LabVIEW 2015, open the LabVIEW Project for your sbRIO-9606 GPIC control system. Right-click on My Computer and go to New>Targets and Devices. Add the sbRIO-9607 target. Copy and paste the the contents of the sbRIO-9606 FPGA target to the sbRIO-9607 FPGA target. Do the same for the RT application. Compile the FPGA VI. Run the RT application.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,413 Views)
The NI 9683 I/O board and your custom interface board are completely reusable with the new sbRIO-9607 Zynq-7020 controller. Backwards compatibility is a key feature of the new sbRIO-9607 controller. Simply power down, ground yourself and the system for static, remove the four screws holding down the sbRIO-9606, plug in and screw down the new sbRIO-9607. Now you've got 3 times the DSP computing, 2X the reconfigurable logic fabric, dual core ARM processors, and the open source Real-Time Linux OS including Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux), with open source Eclipse C/C++ or LabVIEW Real-Time programming options for the ARM microprocessors. In other words, you are on the forefront of technology with brands like Linux, ARM and Zynq all for the same price as the previous generation sbRIO GPIC control system.

Nicely put! Thanks, Spex, thanks, Brian.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,413 Views)

In reply to the original title of this post, here is some information on the recommended mounting configuration for sbRIO-9607 GPIC control and I/O stacks. Notes:

• The heat sink thermal kit (NI part number 153901-02) is required for wide temperature range operation due to slightly higher heat dissipation from the Zynq-7020 controller. See the thermal kit user guide for more information.
  • The recommended assembly orientation is for the thermal kit to be mounted flush with your cabinet panel using thermal paste. See the assembly drawing below (also included as assembly_view 2.pdf in the attached ZIP file.)

sbRIO-9607 Assembly Drawing.jpg

1. Panel to Thermal Kit to sbRIO: Four of these 16mm M3 metric male-female standoffs (Thermal to sbRIO STANDOFF,M4.5 HEX,M3X.5,X16MM LONG,SS,M/F,NYLON PATCH) are included in the sbRIO-9607 thermal kit (P/N 153901-02). Your converter cabinet panel should be drilled and tapped for the M3 screw threads which extend through the thermal kit and into your panel. (Note that there are also two 18mm standoffs in the thermal kit which are not used with the sbRIO-9607 and can be recycled.)

2. sbRIO to NI 9683 GPIC RMC: Four of these 9.65mm M3 metric male-female standoffs (sbRIO to RMC STANDOFF, M/F, M4.5 HEX, M3X9.65MM, SS, NP) are included in the sbRIO-9607 GPIC evaluation kit (P/N 784491-01) and sbRIO-9607 OEM kit (call for pricing). Four of the mating M3x5mm screws with nylon patch for vibration resistance are included in the sbRIO-9607 GPIC evaluation kit (P/N 784491-01) and in the sbRIO-9607 OEM kit. There is also an accessory kit (P/N 153166-12) that contains 12 of these 9.65 m standoffs and 12 M3x5mm screws with nylon patch for vibration resistance.

3. NI 9683 GPIC RMC to Custom I/F PCB: Four of these 11.11mm M3 metric male-female standoffs (STANDOFF, RMC to I/F PCB, M3X0.5, 4.5MM HEX, 11.11MM LONG, M/F, SS) are included in the sbRIO-9607 GPIC evaluation kit (P/N 784491-01). These standoffs are not included in the sbRIO-9607 OEM kit.  There is also an accessory kit (P/N 141161A-01) releasing soon that contains 12 of these 11.11mm standoffs.

4. To be continued... meanwhile please see attached CAD files, assembly and sheet metal drill hole drawings.

The attached ZIP file now includes engineering drawings for accessories including standoffs, power connector, and serial/CAN connector.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,413 Views)

Hello! I'm facing a problem using sbrio 9607. The problem is that I'm using NI9683 extender with sbrio. I write a simple program on fpga i.e. one node is used as write function and loop back to another node as read function just to glow the led. But nothing happens. Can you please help me. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,242 Views)