Power Electronics Development Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Power Electronics Control Design V Training Course

Sorry for the trouble. I've updated the file on the FTP folder with the correct version. Please download again.

The LabVIEW 2013 archive version is linked below. To extract, you must use 7-Zip or Winzip (not Windows built in ZIP archive utility) and you must unzip to a very short path such as "C:\PowerDev\" (not to your desktop):

ftp://ftp.ni.com/evaluation/powerdev/training/GPICReferenceDesign2013.zip

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 69
(1,895 Views)

Brian

There is a problem with the 2014 version. The Half Bridge excersice does not run properly. When attempting to run the [TestBench] Half-Bridge IGBT Control.vi labview errors claiming that the execution mode of the Desktop Execution Node is invalid. The vi runs but does not properly connect to the FPGA vi and so nothing really happens. I tried to fix it but I have no experience with how the Desktop Execution Node works.

The 2013 version opens in Labview 2014 and works per the manual.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 69
(1,895 Views)

DaveKlapp, I believe you need to change the execution mode of the FPGA Target. Right-click on "FPGA Target (RIO0, sbRIO-9606)", Select Execution Mode >> Simulation (Simulated I/O). Retry execution of the Half-Bridge IGBT Control VI and I think it should work.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 69
(1,895 Views)

dfjuggler  Thank you so much. This was exactly the problem.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 69
(1,895 Views)

I could not find the LabVIEW PID and Fuzzy LogicToolkit for LabVIEW 2014. Is it necessary for setting up your hardware?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 69
(1,895 Views)

In LabVIEW 2014, LabVIEW 2015 the PID and Fuzzy Logic toolkits are included and no firmware item is required when setting up the hardware.

By the way, in LabVIEW 2015 be sure to check out the new float multichannel PID control IP core.  I worked closely with the development teams on it. Hoping everyone finds it useful.

Message 16 of 69
(1,895 Views)

Hello Brian,

I really appreciate your effort towards this board. This has really made me learn a lot.

The floating point toolkit, the older version, has some password on it on your page, therefore, i am not able to extract those files onto my system. So if you could please guide me through it, i would appreciate that.

And also, have been anyother developements going on for the induction motor controls. I believe we just have one control algorithm which could be implemented onto the GPIC board. If there has been anyother developements, like controlling the induction motor through a Space Vector PWM, or anyother algorithms, if someone could share their experiences and VI files for learning purpose only?

THank you and looking forward to getting a reply soon.

Regards,

Ammar (California State University, Northridge)

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 69
(1,895 Views)

Hi Ammar,

Great hearing from you. There is no password on the floating point toolkit and solvers IP and examples library, however you must unzip it to a short path (like c:\powerdev, not your desktop) using a full featured Zip utility like 7-Zip or WinZip (not the default Windows Zip utility). The reason is that there are very long paths due to Xilinx coregen IP in my floating point algorithm engineering toolkit. The default Windows Zip utility will give you an error message stating that it's password protected, when in fact it's just that the paths are too long for Windows.

Here is a quick summary of what is included in the floating point toolkit and solvers IP and examples library for LabVIEW FPGA:

1. 3-phase AC induction motor real-time HIL simulation model and field oriented control code

2. 3-phase Induction motor sensorless direct torque control (DTC) IP and examples

3. State-space solver, MHz speed, 9x9 A matrix, multichannel

4. Transfer function solver, MHz speed, up to 9th order adaptive, multichannel

5. Power electronics IP cores library

Note:

• The latest version of the power electronics IP cores library is included with the StarSim bidirectional grid tied inverter active front end with 1547 anti-islanding IP cores and example code. I'd recommend deleting the IP cores library included with the floating point toolkit distributed described above and replacing with with this IP cores library, simply by unzipping and dragging the IP cores library to the same location. All of these libraries are arranged with a compatible folder structure, so simply preserve the same folder hierarchy when updating.

Now to your question regarding the latest IP for induction motor control. Here are some comments:

1. You can find space vector PWM IP cores, and other useful IP for variable frequency drives (VFDs) in the NI LabVIEW SoftMotion Module. See also this post.

2. The GPIC Reference Design IP and examples includes induction motor Volt/Hertz control, and provides a skeleton architecture for a complete power converter control application including 10 kHz waveform streaming, automatic fault capture and logging, operator panels for setting gains, fault limits, tuning the controls, etc.

3. NI Systems Engineering has new highly optimized LabVIEW FPGA IP and examples for induction motor V/Hz control and for bidirectional grid-tied inverter active front end (AFE) with anti-islanding, which is often used back-to-back with an induction motor VFD as a four quadrant regenerative braking drive, as shown below. Let me know if you're interested in either or both parts and I'll ask our engineers to post it for you. 

Regenerative VFD with bidirectional AFE.jpg

Sensorless Field Oriented Control (SFOC) is also an area of interest if anyone would like to collaborate on providing some nice examples and IP. It's basically just rearranging existing IP cores. Anyone interested?

Message 18 of 69
(1,895 Views)

Hi Brian,

Excellent video and many thanks for the sharing.

I have a question on the GPIC Reference Design files. I am now running Labview 2014 but when I tried to open the RT Get CPU Loads.vi (also for the RT LEDs), there is a popup windows reminding VI is not loadable (VI version (13.0) cannot be converted to the current Labview version (14.0) because it has no block diagram). I feel really confused and could you please let me know how to solve this problem.

popup windows.png

Thanks and best regards,

Zihao

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 69
(1,895 Views)

Hi Zihao, I think you might be able to solve your issue by replacing those two VIs with the ones that will be part of your LabVIEW 2014 installation.

Go to the places where those VIs appear and substitute them with the ones that should be accesible throught the Real-Time >> RT Utilities palette:

RT Utilities.png

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 69
(1,895 Views)