Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9870 scan mode no signal

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a ni 9870 module on a sbRio 9642 to send commands over one of the com ports using visa write, but I haven't been able to produce anything but noise. I have both NI Serial RT and NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support installed on the rio. All four of the com ports show up in max, and I have the 9870 module included in my project and deployed. I've already been able to rule out any issues with the wiring off of the RJ-50 port.

Any ideas for what might be causing my problem? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,592 Views)

Hi colvinc,

We should be able to run a VISA Test Panel on the serial ports through MAX. Just select the serial port and select Open VISA Test Panel. Then we can do a loopback test to determine if it is working correctly. This KnowledgeBase lists how to perform the loopback test. Note: the interface will look a little different. We will want to use the Input/Output selector to write and read the message. Checking it in MAX should eliminate the LabVIEW coding side of things.

Best Regards,

Bill

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,576 Views)

Hi Bill. I ran the loopback test on all four of the 9870s com ports. Each time the test panel was able to write with no errors, but on reading gave me the following timeout error: "VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed." Using query instead of read/write returned the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,565 Views)

The timeout error that we are getting means that we are not reading the data back in that we are sending out.

It would be worth testing the sbRIO’s serial port using the same test to just check our wiring. Also, double check the loopback test, but it sounds like the module could be broken and it may need to be repaired or replaced. You can give us a call to start the RMA process.

Go to ni.com/support and select Contact an Engineer (Note: you will have to be logged in). You will be put in touch with one of our Applications Engineers. Just tell them the steps you have tried and they should be able get you in touch with our RMA department.

Best Regards,

Bill

------------------------------
Bill E. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,545 Views)