Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to generate variable width digital pulse train on pxi-6259 and realtime machine?

Hello everyone,

I am a bit of a Labview newbie, but I am learning fast. I am trying to generate a PPM pulse train similar to what is used on radio control transmitters. The pulse train is basically 8 positive pulses each with a different width between 1 and 2 ms. Each positive pulse is separated by a short negative pulse lasting 350 us. After the 8 varying positive pulses, a long positive pulse of 5 ms or so indicates the end of the train (and the signal then repeats with new values for the 8 positive pulses).

I found some similar posts of people trying to do the same thing, but on the E series Daqs. The replies to thoses posts usually suggested that it wasn't very easy to do on an E series Daq, and to use an M-series or a third party daq.

So what is the best way to do this? I am using the PXI-6259 on a realtime machine and chassis. I've experimented with counters and software delays, but so far I haven't been able to get it working exactly right. In my application, I will be reading streaming TCP data and generating this signal based on the packet data.

Any examples or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,246 Views)
You want to do clocked digital generation.  The higher end M series boards (like yours) can do this type of generation.  Take a look at some of the shipping examples like:  "Write Dig Chan-Int Clk-Dig Start.vi"
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,239 Views)
Thanks for the suggestion. I started playing around with that, but there seem to be some issues with those examples running on the real time machine. They are definately pointing me in the right direction though.

Does anyone have any examples of this sort of task for real time? I've done this exact same thing on a microcontroller before, and I definately didn't think it would be so tough to do this in labview...

Thank you so much for you help!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,209 Views)