Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we do Bluetooth communication using the TiWi-BLE chip embedded in myRIO 1900

Aoyu,

Try out the above steps. Hopefully you can find a driver for your bluetooth device that is built for the kernel version. I know a user BluesNight over in the linux group was trying to get a bluetooth radio to work but he doesn't have connections working yet he got discovery working. I believe but its not usable yet. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 24
(3,491 Views)

Kyle,

I will work on those steps and see if I can get any solution! Thank you so so much!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 24
(3,489 Views)

Hi Kyle,

I've tried the link you send me. I download the driver bluez-5.23.tar.xz for bluetooth device. It is the newest version now. Please notice that, this is the only official driver for linux bluetooth device I know, and tar.xz is the only format they released. The link for bluez: http://www.bluez.org/

Then, I do the following steps:

1. I transfer this tar.xz file to myRIO /home/lvuser(one of the only two available positions) using WebDAV.

2. Extract this file untill I see the makefile.

3. As in the tutorial of "Adding Kernel Modules on NI Linux Real-Time", I need to run the command "source /usr/local/natinst/tools/versioning_utils.sh" but only get the result that "no such file or directory". This is really disappointing because the tutorial doesn't work for me.

4. I try to install tar.xz file using other method. Typically, to install a tar.gz file, we need run "./configure" and "make" and "make install", however, none of these command work for me. When I run "./configure", it shows that "no acceptable c compiler". For the 'make" command, it shows that "command not found". I have looked for "gcc" and "make" everywhere in the files but just found them nowhere. The reason for this maybe because the "c compiler" and "make command" is not installed in the myRIO linux system. I really cannot understand this. I know that the linux is specially designed for NI, but why such basic command like "make" is not included in it? It is very inconvienent!

5. I want to install 'make command" myself. I download "make.tar.xz" and try to install this. But I still need "make" command to install "make command"!! This drive me crazy....

6.It seems that the only useful install command is "opkg" and the file that can be installed by opkg is .ipk. I find a .ipk file of bluez on an unoffical webpage and try to install this on myRIO. It can be installed but the dongle still don't work.

My question is that, how can I have "make" command work on myRIO and then install the offical bluez? Or Kyle, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Best,

Aoyu

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 24
(3,472 Views)

Hey Aoyu,

You just need to install the developer tools like gcc, make, etc.. we don't install these by default because most customers don't need them on the target. 

Check out part 1 of that presentation.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-38615

It should cover everything you need to install to compile the source for the architecture. I haven't done it for the 2014 version of linux RT yet but I believe you don't have to download/install as many add ons. You can also find my MPI document over at the linux user group of my experience with it but this is the older 2013 way. I've asked the mod to move the thread over to the linux group as they will certainly be more helpful. I consider myself a newb at linux. Try installing the tools necessary and if you get stuck post back sorry it isn't as straight forward. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread for updates and hopefully some of the linux gurus can chime in.

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 24
(3,465 Views)

Hi Kyle,

I have downloaded the gcc and make from the address you gave me. Both of them can be installed on myRIO but when I use "./configure" command to generate a makefile, the information shows up: "checking for gcc... gcc "  "checking whether the C compilier works... no"  "configure: error : in "/home/lvuser/bluez-5.23":"  "configure: error: C complier cannot create executables"

Then I run the make command, it tells me that the makefile is not found. So, it seems that the gcc doesn't work and the makefile is not generated.

I attach the "config.log" file and hope to get any light about how to make this gcc work...

Thanks Kyle!

Best,

Aoyu

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 24
(3,449 Views)

Aoyu,

Start at about step 5 in the document and install those packages. 

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-38453

You most likely still need c_lib and some components aren't explicitly installed. They are installed by other packages. Stop at step 13. It is relevant for what you need to build a source but the exact steps don't mean anything. 

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 24
(3,447 Views)

Hi Kyle,

There are so many package to install... When I install gcc, I need to install many other packages to meet the requirement for gcc. Sometimes, it also shows "unsatisfied" for some files. So, I just download these files from the link you give me. However, some files do not exist and I cannot find them anywhere....For example: eglibc-thread-db-dev, libcidn-dev. Without these file, I can also install the gcc, but I don't know if this is the reason why gcc doesn't work.

I really do not know what problem I will encouter during c_lib and other components installation... and I also don't know if they work after being installed.. 

Now, I have one more serious problem.. I don't have enough space on myRIO after I install so many packages on it... I've tried uninstall packages I've installed, but this does not seem to work.. Is there an easy way to get the myRIO recovered? I may try to install other C libs after I get enough space on my myRIO...

Thanks,

Aoyu

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 24
(3,425 Views)

Hey Aoyu,

You need to be careful with the limited space on the myRIO. I think when I wrote the document I got down to about 40MB of free memory. You can reformat the myRIO from MAX if you still have connection. Other wise put it in safemode by holding the reset button for 10 seconds (till the status light goes solid) and then you should be able to reformat the myRIO. This will of course undo all the software you have just installed. 

Kyle Hartley

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 24
(3,421 Views)

Thanks Kyle! Now I will try to install other C libs you recommended.. Good luck to me~

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 24
(3,417 Views)

Hi Kyle,

The gcc now works! But I still need GLib library and D-Bus library according to the README file of the Bluez software, which I want to install on myRIO. I do find something like libglib and dbus from the link you gave me, I will try if they can be installed and if they will work or not. I still have some questions:

1. The packages I installed can not be found after the myRIO is restarted. For example, I install the make command, then I can find it using "which make". Then I restart myRIO and it shows that I am in "safe mode". The first time I log in is "run mode". Then I use "which make", I cannot find it. The make command also cannot be used. The software still occupy space on myRIO but they cannot be used after restart. How can this problem be solved, because it is really tough to reinstall these software everything time....

2. Do you have any experience about installing GLib and D-Bus?

3. I download the 2014 myRIO toolkit, will that help a little bit bout my issue?

Best,

Aoyu

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 24
(3,403 Views)