Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Error Code 6 when compiling fpga .vi

Hi,

I am trying to compile the fpga portion of my project. The fpga .vi is then deployed onto a CompactRIO.
It completes the compile but then gives me the following error:

"An internal Labview FPGA Module error occured at teh following stage: Creating Bitfile.

Error Code: 6
Error text: Open/Create/Replace File in nirviRecursiveOpenFile.vi-
>nirviWriteBitfileInformation.vi->nirviCompileDownload.vi-
>harware_template.vi"

Any Ideas what might be wrong?

Cheers
Arnar Hjartarson
University of Minnesota

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,263 Views)
Hi Arnar,

If you are using LabVIEW FPGA 8.5, this error often comes from a corruption in the temporary files found in the folder "NIFPGA85\" located on your hard drive (usually C:\NIFPGA85\). In this folder, you should find three sub folders:

NIFPGA85\clntTmp
NIFPGA85\srvrTmp
NIFPGA85\Xilinx

It is safe to simply delete the "clntTmp" and "srvrTmp" folders which include these temporary files. Try this and run the compile again. If this doesnt work, reply with your FPGA module version, RIO driver version, and LabVIEW version.
Asa Kirby
CompactRIO Product Marketing Manager
(4,240 Views)
Thanks for the reply,
I am using Labview 8.2
with:
Labview FPGA module version 8.2.0
NI RIO 2.2 (listed as NI-RIO FCF 2.2.0 on in Measurment and Automation)

Cheers
Arnar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,236 Views)
Hi Arnar,

The original procedure is still safe to try with your 8.2 version of the FPGA module. Just remove the two temp folders from "NIFPGA82\". Please let me know how this suggestion works for you.
Asa Kirby
(4,218 Views)

Hi,

I tried deleting the temporary folders you suggested, but it still gives me the same error as before.

Cheers

Arnar

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,199 Views)
Arnar,

Try to compile and download an example VI to your board from the NI Example Finder. This will help determine if the problem is with your specific VI or if it is a problem with the compiler configuration.

Message Edited by Captain Kirby on 06-06-2008 05:20 PM
Asa Kirby
(4,178 Views)
The example .vi compiled without a problem. However i tried taking a copy of a project that is working fine on the cRIO and recompiled its FPGA part, it yielded the same error as  before.

Cheers
Arnar
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,158 Views)
Hi Arnar,

When you compiled the example VI, were your able to download it to the FPGA as well? I believe the problem is not necessarily with the compilation, but rather with creating a file. Make sure to compile and download an example FPGA VI to the cRIO.

In some instances, this issue has been resolved by upgrading the driver or repairing the current driver installation. Here is a link to our latest RIO driver software.

NI-RIO 2.4.1 - Windows, Real-Time OS

Asa Kirby
(4,140 Views)