Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Communicate Between Multiple LabVIEW Executables Using Shared Variables?

Details:

Labview 2011 sp1

Host computer and 2 cfp-2220s

Windows 7 Enterprise

Objective:

Exchange data directly from cfp-2220 #1 to cfp-2220 #2 via shared variables

Current Situation:

I have 2 shared variables in a library in the project.  Each cfp-2220's code has both shared variables (1 read and 1 write).  Everything works correctly when I am running the code on my test bench from my development computer but when I build the code as executables and deploy them to the cfp-2220s, cfp-2220 #2 does not start the code on boot up.

Things I have Tried:

I have tried moving the SV library to the cfp-2220 #1 target and including it into it's build source files

I have tried moving the SV library to the cfp-2220 #2 target and including it into it's build source files

I have tried to build the shared variable library into the host and selecting "deploy shared variable libraries at application execution"

I have removed the shared variables from cfp-2220 #2 (the code executed properly on bootup)

I have tried deploying the shared variable library from the the project

Questions:

Why is the code on cfp-2220 #2 not starting on bootup?  It must have something to do with the shared variables

Why doesnt the cfp-2220 target build specifications include the "deploy shared variable libraries at application execution"?

If I deployed the SV library from the project, why is the executable acting different then the code run from my computer?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,025 Views)

Hi Drew,

Can you verify that they are (or are not) running the executable in each of those scenarios?  Try this Real-Time Heartbeat approach to do so: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19507  I just want to be 100% that it’s an issue of the application build, rather than just the shared variables not running.

Also, what are the data types of the shared variables?  Are they typedefs?  If so, you may run into the situation described in this known LabVIEW 2011 bug: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/13164/en#294285_by_Category

Best,

Ryan C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,005 Views)