Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Total RAM reported

On my real time target (Everything recently updated to LV2009 SP1), in MAX, the Total Free Ram is bing reported as 3.99TB, which is not correct. And when I use the Project Explorer and use utilities:target information it reports having Free Momory: 0 K. Which may be why I cannot deploy any vi's to it with a "Host Labview failed to download ...."

The target machine is a Dell T7500 with 4 cores and 4Gb RAM

Rick

Rick Foster
MIT Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,919 Views)

PS: When I boot the target into safe mode, the correct memory is reported.

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,902 Views)

Hi Rick,

Are you able to install Real-Time 2009 (not SP1) to the target?  Will the memory reported be correct?  Did you have a startup exe currently running on the target with a potential memory leak? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,899 Views)

I have the same problem when I tried using just LV2009.

Yesterday I spent the day removing all the LV stuff on my computer to install LV2009SP fresh.

Once again, MAX 4.6.2 reports the  1.99GB when the target boots in safe mode, even though there is 4GB in the target (Disk Space is reported correctly at 19.5GB)

When I boot with  software on the hard drive (LV RT 9.0.1) it reports 3.99TB (Disk Space is reported correctly at 19.5GB)

I then installed the  System State Publisher 1.1.0 on the target. It sees all four cores and reports memory as follows (Allocated 37.331MB, Available:2960.6MB,Contig:2957.8MB) for a total of 2997.9MB

The system (new Dell T7500) has 4GB (4x1GB, 1333Mhz, 3 Active Channels).

All these test are without running any code on the target. My original problem is the inability to deploy vi's to the RT target. I get a message that the "Host Labview failed to download..." with the added diagnostic "No memory information is available"

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,887 Views)

Hi Rick,

Is this issue occurring with a minimal install on the Desktop?  I want to know if this is caused by a specific component, such as the variable engine or a driver.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,882 Views)

Yes, I was running the tests after making "baby steps" with the install.

After those tests, I started installing the other modules that I need (FPGA, Statechart, DWE and some more drivers from the Feb 2010 distribution).

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,878 Views)

If it is of any help. There is a forum thread titled "Deployment error with Labview 8.0 using Desktop PC as a RT target", starting 8-01-2007.

On message 19 0f 22, dated 12-30-2009, the same probelm I am having is described. There did not appear to be a conclusion in that thread, but it looks like someone else at NI had started to  look into it as well.

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,863 Views)

So, I removed 2 of the 4 1GB DIMMS from my machine (i.e made it a quad core with 2GB of ram, instead of 4 GB of ram) and things seem to be working.

Both MAX and DSM see the target as having 2GB of ram. My vi's are also deploying to the target.

So, my conclusion is that LV RT 2009SP1 may still have trouble with desktop targets that  have more then 2GB of ram installed.   Which is unfortunate. 

Rick

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,858 Views)

Hi Rick,

It makes sense now.  In the following article, http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/709A3C2AA51B593386256D40007816C6?OpenDocument, LabVIEW Real-Time can currently utilize 2 GB of RAM and systems with more than that may experience some issues.

I understand that this may be frustrating, but this may be a limitation of the RT operating system.  What I would suggest is to place a product suggestion (http://digital.ni.com/applications/psc.nsf/default?OpenForm) or add an entry at http://www.ni.com/ideas.  These are all reviewed by R&D.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,841 Views)

In the case that LV2009 cannot work on desktop systems that contain >2GB RAM, then NI should correct their tutorial document, as it is what I used to specify the workstation I procured for the project.

Requirements for Desktop PCs as Labview Real-Time Targets 12/2/2009

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/8239

Rick

Rick Foster
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,839 Views)