Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronice clock on cRIO-9040 with a PC

Hi,

i am working on a project where i use a cRIO-9040 with C-series AI modules. I am running DAQmx locally on the cRIO to collect data from the C-series modules, before processing on the cRIO.

After processing, the data is streamed to a PC. There is continuous network connection between the cRIO and PC.

Now i need to set up synchronization of the cRIO system clock, to ensure it is always in sync with the PC. This is important for timestamping of the measured data (The PC can be assumed to be synchronized with an NTP).

NI TimeSync Time reference for IEEE 802.1AS is installed on the cRIO, running LabVIEW Real-time 18.5.0.

From information found online, i found that i should not enable NTP in the real-time Linux on cRIO, as it can/will interfere with DAQmx timing. In NI MAX i can not see any options to enable time synchronization

How do i proceed to enable automatically time synchronization of the cRIO system clock, using the PC-clock as a master?

Can i use Ni-TimeSync (802.1AS) in any way for this purpose?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(906 Views)

Hi fredlaks

There is an articlewhere you can find the solution in this case. Try to go through that article. 

Regards)

________

Best way to thank is giving Kudos / Marking as a solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(870 Views)

The suggested method would require restart of the cRIO for each sync, which is not suitable in my case. I need to be running data collection continuously, and also have a system clock that is being synced periodically.

I was thinking more of a NTP or similar method. Reading about NI-Sync and other NI-features, it appears to me that they are suitable to synchonize multiple cRIO's with each other, but with NO support to synchrnize a cRIO system clock, using a PC as master clock. Please correct me if im wrong.

I have installed NTP on the target according to instructions found in knowledgebase, ( https://www.ni.com/da-dk/support/documentation/supplemental/21/use-ntp-for-timestamping-measurements... )

and also disabled IEEE 802 on the cRIO 9040. But i am now getting the error message "unable to bind to wildcard address :: -another process may be running - EXITING

Any suggestions how to proceed?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(777 Views)

Hi fredlaks

Could you please share more information about that error, that occurred during the process (any picture or error code)? 

Regards) 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(743 Views)