cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO 9074 cannot connect in Labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

We recently were collecting data and the cRIO 9074 device was able to deploy just fine the program. Then, after complete one data collection, the cRIO suddenly stopped connecting in Labview. I have followed every suggestion posted on the help forums and NI site but have yet to find a suitable solution. My guess is that this problem is originated because the system memory is full on cRIO controller. According to the National Instruments website, embedded systems like CompactRIOs have limited resources such as RAM or disk space and potential issues with this is to be unable to communicate over Ethernet. Via MAX my primary disk free space is 0 KB. I cannot go into file transfer using MAX neither by opening a Windows Explorer and typing in FTP://ipaddres, to clear some space.

The system has a very unexpected behavior:

MAX reported a VISA error 0Xbfff00A7, then an Error-63040, and at the NI Ethernet Device error, the following message appears:

“This device uses a DHCP and is configured to use the hostname NI-Crio9074-016A86E5”. However, the DHCP server assigned the hostname “ᴆƗό   Ầ”. Your device must be configured with a valid hostname to function properly”.

I have change the device’s name to NI-Crio9074-016A86E5 to match the DNS entry, but it keeps changing the device name to very weird symbols such as ●.

I don’t know what else to do to avoid reformat the disk and reinstall the software. As I took over this project only two months ago and I am not very familiar with the system neither with LabView. And I am afraid to do something wrong which causes a major problem.  

Can someone please help?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,425 Views)

you might have luck if you ssh into the machine and delete the large file you may have created.

otherwise, try to reset/reformat/reinstall the crio.

don't be too scared to mess up the crio, i don't know the steps now,

but i recall it was not too hard to reset/reformat the crio.

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,411 Views)

Operating system of 9074 is VxWorks, so no ssh...

But: The 9074 still has DIP switches, so I recommend to set to DIP switches to "safe mode", restart the cRIO and see if you now can delete some files via ftp.

Lesson learned: Monitor the HDD space left on your cRIO and never let it completely fill up.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,396 Views)

Lesson learned! I tried to set to DIP switches to "safe mode" and restart the cRIO but nothing changed, so I formatted the disk and reinstalled the software. Now the connection problem is fixed, but my app does not read my sensors. My app reads a torque sensor to produce velocity. The modules I am using includes the NI9870, NI9239, NI9401, NI9403. None of them are listed in the IVI drivers list on MAX (please check the attachments). 

I know this might be a very silly problem, but I have no idea what to do... Should I install anything else besides the default software?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,392 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fco.Anaya

Strange that the cRIO did not start in safe-mode. That usually works always.

NI c-Modules are not part of any IVI-drivers.

It very much depends on your RT-project settings which software modules you need to install on your cRIO. You either need FPGA support or Scan Engine and for your 9870 probably the NI serial support for that module.

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,380 Views)

Thanks for the help. I had to deploy the I/O module. The system is now working normally. 

Thanks again everyone for all the inputs. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,369 Views)