Real-Time Measurement and Control

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number crio

I am trying to figure out a way to retrieve the Model Number, Serial number and Slot for various modules attached to a cRIO backplane (chassis).  I figured out how to do this in MAX but I can not figure out how to get this information in the cRIO environment.  I am able to retrieve the Model Name, Model Code and Serial number for the cRIO controller but not the backplane (chassis) or individual modules.

Help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony Snow

Data Acquisition Engineer

Northrop Grumman Ship Systems

Pascagoula, MS

Message Edited by Fro2 on 02-18-2008 12:12 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,197 Views)
Anthony,

There are a couple of examples that show you how to get this information.

CompactRIO Module Information

CompactRIO Chassis Information
(The VIs are attached to the 7th post in this thread.)
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,182 Views)
Anthony,

There is also very simple VI for getting Backplane information found in the following KB:

Regards,

Basset Hound
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,178 Views)

Thank you for your help with discovering a way to figure out serial numbers on cRIO devices.  I found an example in the Developer Zone “Detecting Current CompactRIO Configuration” that I was able to modify and figure out what I needed however it involved using the "Module ID" a hexadecimal value in which I was not able to correspond any model number to. 

For example

NI 9411 has module id  0 x 0709D

NI 9401 has module id  0 x 07130

NI 9217 has module id  0 x 0712B

I discovered these Module IDs by plugging in the module and running the VI.  Then I modified the VI to include these module IDs in the Table.  I looked and looked on the NI wesbsite to no avail.  Is there a list somewhere that shows the different Module IDs, so that I can add the IDs to the table?

Anthony Snow

Pascagoula, MS

Message Edited by Fro2 on 02-19-2008 03:10 PM

Message Edited by Fro2 on 02-19-2008 03:11 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,167 Views)
Yes.  Search for any of the modules in the LabVIEW help and you'll find a Page named "C Series Module IDs"

Basset Hound
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,161 Views)

Thank You very much for everyone’s help.  I have created a VI that when ran reports the Model Number, Serial number and Slot for various modules attached to a cRIO backplane (chassis).  It also reports the Model Number and Serial Number for the backplane itself as well as the cRIO controller.

Anthony Snow

Pascagoula, MS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,145 Views)
I love it when people claim to have fixed all the problems and then dont post the VI for everyone else that has the problem.
---------------------------------
[will work for kudos]
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,836 Views)
I have published a new LabVIEW component (user VI library) called cRIO Information (CRI) which packages up all of the VIs to read back information about a local or remote (networked) cRIO system including the controller, backplane and modules. This updates the older document in the same URL.

authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,565 Views)