Signal Generators

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small frequency offset in PXIE 5650 RF Signal Generator

Using the soft panel controls for a 5650 RF signal generator, did a simple configuration:

RF OUT:  50 MHz at 0 dBm

Ref Clock Source: Board clock

Ref Clock Export:  REF OUT

Modulation: none

Connected the RF OUT and REF OUT to an oscilloscope, triggering off of the 10 MHz REF OUT.  I expected the RF OUT (at 5x the 10 MHz frequency) to be solidly in sync with the 10 MHz, it's not.  It's slowly walking across the screen.  On a Keysight 53230A the ratio is 4.999 999 996.  Very close, but not the exact 5.0 that it should be.  There are no front panel alarms on the 5650.

Question:  Is this expected? I would expect the internal PLL with a simple integer relationship would be spot on.

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,497 Views)

You need to configure the 'right' clock source. I assume the 5650 is using it's internal clock and ist not locked to the PXI 10/100 MHz clock.

Without looking into the spec/documentation, yes, the default configration choose the internal clock. (more information in the horizontal timing chapter in the help to your device)

I'm not shure about the the REF-OUT .. butto my understanding the PXI backplane clock distribution is dedicated to one specific slot (marked) to be able to replace it. 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,410 Views)

Henrik:

Thank you for you suggestion.  It doesn't matter if the card is set to its internal oscillator or the PXI clock, relative to REF_OUT the offset is a few ppb for a 50 MHz RFOUT.  Also verified by triggering a scope with the REF_OUT and watching the RFOUT slowly walk across the scope.

Given the simple integer relationship (RF OUT = 5 * REF_OUT), with a simple PLL the output would be perfect. Obviously, this isn't a simple PLL.

Bob

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,394 Views)