SignalExpress

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-6528 Watchdog Timer parameters

I am using the PXI-6528 DIO on PXI chassis. This board is an opto-isolated TTL DIO.  The card has an on-board Watchdog timer.  I have DAQmx Generate - Digital Line Output (PXI-6528) steps in Sequence steps with "reuse hardware" permitted which set lines high or low as needed for commanding solid state relays (SSR).  When the project runs, the behavior non-deterministically sets all lines to low when transitioning to the next Sequence step.  If I run each DO step independently it works perfectly every time.  

To investigate this phenomenon, I did a simple bench check to rule-out SE software errors.  I simply patched from the DO port to the DI port on the same card.  Then I added a DI Acquire step just after every DO step to electrically read the states.  The result is that the DO port really is going low when the SE software is programmed for high or low!  It seems to me that the only thing that can override the SE logic is the Watchdog timer.  

Reading this NI White paper:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14616/en/#toc4

It seems that it is critical to configure the Watchdog timer to achieve stable behavior from the 6528 card.  BUT, neither MAX, DAQ Assistant, or SE have an obvious way to configure the Watchdog timer.

QUESTION: Within SE-DAQmx-Generate-Digital Line Output step what are the parameters that control or disable the Watchdog timer for the PXI-6528?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,990 Views)

Update:

I have found more information at this URL:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370471AC-01/cdaqmxsupp/pci-6528/

This is the C programming reference specific to the PXI-6528.  Reviewing the Watchdog timer properties we find that the "Timeout" property can disable the timer with a value of -1.  On the DAQmx Assistant GUI for DO, the Advanced Timing tab does have a Timeout property which will accept a value of -1; however, one must set the Generation Mode to N-Samples to activate the Timeout input field.  As the 6528 fundamentally cannot generate samples, then we must reset the Generation mode back to 1-Sample (On Demand) with the effect that the Timeout property is greyed out on the GUI - does this signify that the -1 value for Timeout is ignored?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,985 Views)

Watchdog timer configuration is not available in SignalExpress. You will need to use LabVIEW to access that functionality. 

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,964 Views)