cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NI Certification Policy

Hello

NI has a new certification policy.

You can read more about it here

NI has decreased the certification frequency for CLD and CLA's.  NI has also allowed people to accumulate points based on attending NI events i.e. User groups, NI Week, etc

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(13,811 Views)

Clarification: the recertification frequency has been decreased (ie: you don't have to recertify as often).

The new points system has really be thought out well by NI - it's something Zaki and his team have been working on for a few years, and I think they've done a great job. In summary: the more involved you are in the community, the better your chances that you don't have to sit the recertification exams. I, of course, expect that this will mean everyone will beat a path to Dan's door, begging him to let us present at the SEMLUG, and Dan will have to increase the frequency of meetings to monthly, right Dan?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,453 Views)

So let me get this straight.  You need 50 points to get recertified.  You get 3 years of being active, and NI week is worth 15 points.  So if you go to NI Week each year (who wouldn't want that) you get 45, and only need 5 more by say going to one user group meeting in those 3 years?  Or go to 4 user group meetings a year for 3 years is 60 points.  Or sign up for 3 LabVIEW beta programs in those 3 years is 45.  NI must realize that because of this very few will pay for a recertification of CLD or CLA.  I mean if you aren't that active already why even have the certification?

And the renewal by points extends the current expiration date, and happens as soon as you get the needed points.  So if I get 50 points in my first year of 3 of a CLD, I now am active for another 5? (3-1+3).  Seems like alot of rules but I think I like it.

Message 3 of 6
(5,453 Views)

I think you overestimate the furvor of community involvement of the common LabVIEW user Brian, but yes, from my interpretation, all of those things you said are true. Hopefully I'll never have to recertify again*!

*I'm not sure I'll be able to gain enough points to keep all three of my certifications perpetual.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,453 Views)

Oh just present at NI week, and a CLA summit every year and you'll have 60 which can renew one of your 3 each year doing nothing else.  I was sorta expecting points for forums posts, or answers being accepted, but then figured there would be some kind of abuseing the system.  What no points for being a LAVA mod?  Or being a Champion?  Probly for the best I guess.  NI shouldn't be giving away points for nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,453 Views)

Harsh, but fair.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,453 Views)