UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Eye-Catching GUIs (from NIWeek)

It is amazing how much look does factor in to purchases.  Though, by the arguement put forth, we shouldn't be using switches or relays because they look old and must therefore be obsolete...

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 45
(1,744 Views)

Why use switches when you could use a multi-touch screen

Seriously, we live in times where iPhone devices and slick interfaces are becoming the norm and as such user's expections are going up and up, and quite frankly, LabVIEW was left behind long before the latest round of developments. Now, although it is possible (and something those of us at Bloomy Controls work hard at) to create intuative up-to-date interfaces for our applications, its a shame that we have to spend so much time fighting with LabVIEW to customize or even completely hide the default control appearences.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 45
(1,744 Views)

It certainly seems that I am not the only one out there who's bottom line has been affected by the look and feel of LV's front panels, but here's another issue that drives me crazy.

This isn't a UI topic, so scold me if you must, but in addition to convincing people that the LV UI is adequate, are you guys still facing the perception that LabVIEW is a "toy" or somehow not capable of complex tasks?  I get this every week.  I've been doing this for 17 years, and I have built software with LV from 1 VI to large enteroprise scale suites of several hundred vi's for customers all over the world.  Some of the code I wrote for MB in Germany has been running without changes since 1998.  Where does this perception come from, and how do you guys combat it??

Wes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wes Ramm, Cyth UK
CLD, CPLI
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 45
(1,744 Views)

I agree. the old-looking UI is an issue. I am currently fighting my boss (who only programs 2 hours a day) over switching from LabVIEW to IGOR to view live test data just because it is object oriented and looks prettier. Aparently looking pretty is more important than being easy to code.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 45
(1,744 Views)

SpaceX uses LabVIEW on pretty much everyhting except the flight software on the rocket (when is NI gonna make a flight computer?). Do you know of any other "toys" that do that?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 45
(1,744 Views)

I feel like there is more to this issue (the perception that LabVIEW is somehow a "Toy"), so I started a new group "Selling LabVIEW to skeptics"

http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/3871

Go check it out.  I am going to invite Elijah Kerry, who is an NI guy and an evangelist in the whole LabVIEW perception thing.  Hopefully we can all help each other out with this one.

Wes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wes Ramm, Cyth UK
CLD, CPLI
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 45
(1,744 Views)

It should come as no surprise that we find ourselves having to regularly discuss and explain the merits of LabVIEW as a programming language to skeptics.  More thoughts on this here: http://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/3871

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 45
(1,744 Views)

Unfortunately, flash (looking pretty) sells better.

Don't forget that people will remember a bad experience more than a good one and that includes a "poor" user interface.  I'd say your boss has a good point in there, but not necessarily the right solution.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 45
(1,744 Views)

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 45
(1,744 Views)

Great, thanks Jonathan,

great UIs!

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 45