From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multitouch in LabVIEW?

Everyone,

I'm curious to hear if you have any interest, or if you have experience with Multitouch in LabVIEW.

Recently with the advent of the iPhone, and inexpensive multitouch tablet PCs (such as the Dell XT2 and HP Touchsmart Tx2), Multitouch has been changing the way people interact with computers.

The Windows 7 API natively provides multitouch touch support through event notification. A window can register for Multitouch events, and receive notification of both touch and gestures. Native support includes the basic touch events, as well as more sophisticated gestures such as pinch-zoom, pan and rotate.

I've played around with this on a Dell TX2 with C# and Windows Forms applications, but I'm curious to find out if anyone has an interest in achieving this in LabVIEW?

I haven't put a lot of thought into how this could be achieved in LabVIEW, but maybe if there was enough support from the community / lead users we could get a champion or someone from R&D to help us figure this one out.

Cheers!

Evan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(8,509 Views)

I would be interested. We do all sorts of things and I have been looking to see if we could do this type of thing. Right now I do not have any projects that need this but I sure would like to have it in my back pocket before I need it. With the IPOD driving innovation customers will soon be asking if I can do something like this.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,579 Views)

Multitouch would be very nice.

Especially when you want to similuate a button panel, where it might be usefull to push mutiple buttons.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,579 Views)

Hi there,

i've just read this thread and i would be interested if you have any information/examples/use cases about multitouch in LabVIEW?

Now, as Windows 7 is released for a while and the multitouch api is open, it would be interesting if there are any developers who try to implement this in a LabVIEW application.

Thanks,
Regards

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,579 Views)

So far I have never heard of anyone trying this with a MT computer and LabVIEW 2009 under Windows 7.

The W7 API includes WM_TOUCH and WM_GESTURE messages for multitouch. I haven't seen anyone try to get those working in LabVIEW, and I'm not even sure where to start to be honest. The most obvious location for support for those messages would be in the LV event structure, but it would be up to NI R&D to add in those capabilities.

Aside from that, perhaps there is a way to get around this limitation by interfacing directly with the W7 API. You'd need access to the message queue for the running LabVIEW program (good luck..).

If anyone gives this a shot or has any insight I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Evan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,579 Views)

I have an upcoming project that will require a multi touch panel and I would definitley like to do the whole thing in Labview if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,579 Views)