UI Interest Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to show list of devices, where each has different number of channels

I am working to develop configurable measurement application software. based on previous experience, in the device setup panel, the user expect to have list of devices including it related channels. each device could have different number of channels. example: Tilt sensor (2channel), Accelero sensor (3ch), Displacement sensor (1ch) and the maximum number for channel per device is about 8ch, it is weather sensor.

But the number of devices being used could be unlimited, and expected to be defined by user during setup, prior to measure.

visually, the setup screen expected to be looked similar to the following image:

setup form looks expected. the devices are wireless, thus the battery and signal strength are shown on each devicesetup form looks expected. the devices are wireless, thus the battery and signal strength are shown on each deviceI aware that due to the difference number of channels, I can't use array of cluster for the device, and array of cluster for channel within the device cluster.

alternatively, I consider to use tree control/ multicolom listbox, how ever the visualization is limited by text. unfortunately we could't add button nor bar-graph on it.

What about Object-Oriented Programming?

I can't find any related thread of how to inherit object-oriented of front panel control on labVIEW. as the .NET could do. 

any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,482 Views)

Would it be acceptable to create a master/detail UI structure? You could have a listbox of devices and then show the details for the selected device in a pane next to it. Then you could make different details pane layouts for the devices.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 2 of 7
(4,447 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:

Would it be acceptable to create a master/detail UI structure? You could have a listbox of devices and then show the details for the selected device in a pane next to it. Then you could make different details pane layouts for the devices.

Yes, I was thinking to make such alternative, how ever the the other pane (say: right side pane) is allocated already for channel setup details and live signal visualization. updated when the user click the channel setup... button.
and the screen is not big enough for them to add separation anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,438 Views)

How about a hovering control containing the device's details? Or instead of a control a SubVI popping up when a device is selected. This SubVI's window could be floating, possibly half-transparent or something. You could move it around or minimize it or even close it, if it gets in the way or bothers somehow. Another possibility could be the tip strip property.

Message 4 of 7
(4,436 Views)

I have idea to design a control that maybe u can use. I use array of cluster. 

image.png

u can add the device using 'add device' button. The device could be unlimited.

Then u can add the channel using 'add ch' button. When u click 'add ch', the color array, value array, and setup array will be increase. It makes u can add the channel until 8 or more. 🙂 

Day@
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Message 5 of 7
(4,422 Views)

@comrade wrote:

How about a hovering control containing the device's details? Or instead of a control a SubVI popping up when a device is selected. This SubVI's window could be floating, possibly half-transparent or something. You could move it around or minimize it or even close it, if it gets in the way or bothers somehow. Another possibility could be the tip strip property.

Your idea sound's interesting. its also nice if it could fade-in and fade-out based on mouse hover. however I've no Idea how to update the sub-VI when we move the mouse-pointer from one element (device) to another element in the array of devices.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,388 Views)

@hidayatmaulud wrote:

I have idea to design a control that maybe u can use. I use array of cluster. 

image.png

u can add the device using 'add device' button. The device could be unlimited.

Then u can add the channel using 'add ch' button. When u click 'add ch', the color array, value array, and setup array will be increase. It makes u can add the channel until 8 or more. 🙂 

Thank you for the vi, Could you save the vi for 2017 version please....

Furhter question: Actually the channel number of each device is fixed (unchangeable), though they are not equally each other. I'm not sure if the array size of channels would extend its row based on active element.

shall the user click up and down array index  to show the desired channel? If so, then it will bother the user

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,387 Views)