VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeriStand crash while deploying

My VeriStand project crash while deploying.

It has default controller (Windows), 2 custom devices, and 2 WorkSpace screens for each custom device. Both custom devices have huge amount of channels.

When I run the VS project, it freezes at "Starting deployment group 1..." or any of procedures after that.

I first checked that the system CPU usage is 99% which might be a problem.

But I created a new VS project with default controller again, and added the same 2 custom devices and same workspace screens. VS didn't freeze while the project is deploying.

I don't see any difference between these two projects but the 1st one just freezes the VS.

Any idea?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,703 Views)

Correct one thing for the original post -

I tried again, both VS projects have the same problem actually - get frozen most of the time due to high CPU and memory usage. When it works, the speed is really slow. But if I run the project with one custom device only, everything is ok.

I'm running the VS project on local PC, which has 2GB memory only.

Is it because of the huge amount of channels? (two custom devices with each has 27 input channels and 171 output channels).

What is the speed of reading/writing channel data to device FIFO? Is there any channel number limit?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,700 Views)

Have you tried running both of the channels one at a time? Does that seem to work? If you could give me everything about your system so that I can try to replicate the same behavior on my end, that would be helpful. I also would need you to send me the custom devices. Let me know if this would work better for you over email. Thanks,

Scott

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,674 Views)

I did try the custom devices one at a time, and there was no problem.

The project was run on local computer, WinXP, Pentium 4 CPU, 3.20GHz, 2GB RAM.

Attached please find the 1st custom devices and VS project screen file. Due to attachment size limit, the 2nd custom device will be attached later.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,655 Views)

2nd custom device

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,651 Views)

@Scotticus wrote:

Have you tried running both of the channels one at a time? Does that seem to work? If you could give me everything about your system so that I can try to replicate the same behavior on my end, that would be helpful. I also would need you to send me the custom devices. Let me know if this would work better for you over email. Thanks,

Scott

Applications Engineering

Thank you, Scott. I think I may find the cause. My custom device driver may have problem consuming too much memory. I will test it without VS first.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,605 Views)

After looking through your code, I do agree that your custom device is most likely comsuming too much memory. Let me know the results of your test. Thanks,

Scott

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,600 Views)