Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interfacing wsn with pic microcontroller

Hi,

Since I am new to labview and I want to interface wireless sensor module pioneer with pic Microcontroller using USB is it possible to do so??

If yes then pls give me some hint

Thnks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,079 Views)

Hello Hir_ec,

This sounds very intersting. Are you trying to interface a wsn node like the 3212 or 3202 with a USB microcontroller? 

The DIO lines on the nodes are software timed using the LabVIEW WSN Module. So it might be easier to interact with the DIO lines of your microcontroller instead of the high speed USB bus. What do you need to communicate to the node? 

I have personally interacted with a serial LCD screen using SPI communication. So using a digital line for my clock and another for my data. It was really slow but I could update my LCD screen in ~ 1-2 seconds. 

Hope this helps!

Corby

R & D WSN Product Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,974 Views)

Hi Corby,

I would like to acquire with a WSN node some sensors that use SPI communication, could you please share your SPI example?

Thanks,

Asper

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,957 Views)

Hello Asper,

Thanks for the post!

I would be happy to post my code. See the attached LV 2010 project. 

I used a serial SPI capable LCD screen from Crystalfontz to show locally what the temperature (using a thermocouple) and set point (using a potentiometer) are coming into the AI lines of the NI WSN-3212 node. Using just 2 digital lines, one for my SPI software timed clock and another for the data, I was able to update the screen with this information. I just pulled low the chip select line since the only thing I was communicating with was the LCD screen. I used the LabVIEW WSN Module to program LabVIEW directly on the WSN nodes. This is what allowed me to have control of the digital lines to make a CLK and DATA line.  

Requirements for the project:

LabVIEW 2010 or later

LabVIEW 2010 WSN Module (for programming on the node)

NI-WSN 1.2.1 or later.  

Best of luck to you on your projects!

Corby

WSN R & D Product Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,926 Views)

Hi Corby,

thanks for the code, it look like very easy … I will try to modify it to query my sensor for acquired data.

Regards,

Asper

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,920 Views)