========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 98
(4,615 Views)

@cbutcher wrote:

@RavensFan wrote:

Here is an excellent example of why old threads should NOT be locked.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/change-in-PC-hardware-results-in-Error-200018/m-p/4018223

That one (and others) are pretty nice (and describe why I'm also against locking threads).

But in the same day, and to which you also responded: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-do-I-create-a-log-file/m-p/4018245/highlight/true#M1149766

😆  I know.  I came across that second thread literally minutes after complimenting the poster in the first thread about their message quality,

I think the good of the first thread far outweighs the bad of someone posting an idiot message as seen in that second old thread.

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 98
(4,608 Views)

It's now a pet project of mine to try to notice the longest thread "Phoenix Time", from when the thread went dormant until it was resurrected.

Here's the latest record-breaker at 18 years, 19 days.  Unfortunately, this one doesn't add anything useful to the discussion.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 63 of 98
(4,541 Views)

16 years was the record in that thread.  A while ago I made a post about tracking things like that, but it became obvious that it was a bit of a jerk move to point out people's mistakes.  This previous 15 year title went to an NI employee, which I still find funny.

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 98
(4,516 Views)

Not a record, but another example of a USEFUL revival of a 15+ year old thread.  Someone finding that thread in a search can now use a simpler, newly-added config feature instead of private scripting.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 65 of 98
(4,311 Views)

Narrowly missing the record Kevin gave above, but here's one just 2 days short of 18 years...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Use-table-for-user-input/m-p/4138886

Looks to be almost entirely unrelated 😕

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 66 of 98
(4,185 Views)

Another narrow miss at 17 yrs, 9+ months.  Close enough to be worth a mention I figure.

-Kevin P

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 98
(4,033 Views)

And *literally* three minutes before I finished that last msg, the record was utterly CRUSHED by this zombie thread revival post.

The new record for "Phoenix Time" is now: 21 years, 4 months, 11 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes.

That is all.

-Kevin P

Message 68 of 98
(4,023 Views)

Is it a necro if it's just 2 months of inactivity? 😉

Just wanted to cast my vote against hard-locking as well. IMHO the benefits of being able to update threads of mine with bug fixes etc down the line far outweighs the annoyance of a newbie's necropost bringing something up from a long time ago. The fact that several beneficial necros have been identified in this thread alone shows its value. Google searches VERY frequently turn up old threads. If I go to an old locked thread with an "It's just not possible" as the solution, I'm not sure I'd keep digging to see if there are newer threads. It's also unlikely someone would post a new thread to say "Hey, remember this old thread? The issue is now fixed in LV2023." Not to mention the massive PITA it'd be to be able to find a 1-post update thread like that!

Message 69 of 98
(3,709 Views)

New record?

22 years and 14 days since the thread was started. Last message is 15 years and 2 days old.

The message was created just to say "The solution is still valid!"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 70 of 98
(3,686 Views)