Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock old threads

Solved!
Go to solution

I like the idea of someone posting a question, then 20 years later, their kid asks the same question, now working in a similar field.

Message 81 of 98
(2,325 Views)

20 years, 2 months, 10 days

Not a new record, but anything over 20 years is worth highlighting...

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 82 of 98
(2,228 Views)

@Kevin_Price wrote:

20 years, 2 months, 10 days

Not a new record, but anything over 20 years is worth highlighting...

-Kevin P

Yet a valid newbie question that shows some research.  A bit of help on searching might be warranted.  Lets track some of those really old thread revivals for a while .....

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 83 of 98
(2,210 Views)

Duped again!

@Kyle97330 wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

@jraoul wrote:

I have an application which consists one one main VI running for the user interface, and one VI running in the background dealing with CAN communications.  These two VIs must communicate using global variables. 

Hmmm... Must they? Is that a requirement? 

A different program architecture like a QMH or CMH that have independent loops that can communicate with each other would be a better approach to this. 

Please note that the post you are replying to is over 15 years old...

I mean, you're not wrong in general though...

Please please make it so this does not happen anymore!

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be able to respond to a 15 year old thread!

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 98
(2,158 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to be able to respond to a 15 year old thread!

Disagree.  The ability to correct an old thread that will show up in searches and may be linked to from many other threads is, to my thinking, an excellent reason to occasionally re-open a very old thread.   Here's one of my specific use cases.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 85 of 98
(2,147 Views)

If I had a nickel for every dead link in old threads I've found online I'd have retired. We definitely need to be able to update old threads, even if most people don't do so. The amount of extra baggage from dead thread revival is minimal.

0 Kudos
Message 86 of 98
(2,137 Views)

@RTSLVU 

We believe that leaving the option to update old threads has an overriding priority to the need to lock them. Mostly for the reasons that @Kevin_Price and @BertMcMahan speak to. However, we do agree that it is too easy to resurrect threads and have some ideas on how to add friction to the process. For instance, adding a "Start new topic" as the default option for older topics but leave reply as a secondary option. We have not been able to tackle that yet though so there may be other solutions that arrive when we start the solution phase.

More to come.

Thanks,

Mark

Community Manager
NI Community
0 Kudos
Message 87 of 98
(2,134 Views)

I would say I am against a hard lock on "idle threads".  I think there are a couple of ways to prevent thread resurrections, but still allow them:

1. Have a dialog when trying to reply that the post is Y years, M Months, D days old and recommend starting a new thread, as recommended in the first page of this thread.

2. Put in a hard lock for users with less than, for example, 1000 posts for replying to posts older than X years.

Even a combination of these would be fine.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 88 of 98
(2,127 Views)

Can we at least lock this thread?  1974 days (5.5yrs) 12 hours, 50min.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 89 of 98
(2,123 Views)

@aputman wrote:

Can we at least lock this thread?  1974 days (5.5yrs) 12 hours, 50min.

But this thread has remained active.  I view the age of the last post for the idle age of a thread.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 90 of 98
(2,116 Views)