LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSocket Open Connection on Raspberry Pi gives error 1143

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I'm currently trying to transfer data from code on a Raspberry Pi (LINX installed) to code on a Windows machine by shared variables and DataSocket. The Windows machine creates the shared variables (show up correctly) and the Raspberry Pi attempts to open a DataSocket connection to the shared variable, but it gives error 1143 saying it cannot load dataskt.llb. Adding dataskt.llb to the project results in VIs different than that of the function palette and the DataSocket Open function still gives error 1143. Code is being run from the project on the target (i.e. not as an executable).

Is there another library I need to include in my project? Or do I need to reconstruct the standard functions from dataskt.llb? I believe standard DataSocket client functions should be compatible with Linux, correct? Running LV20.0.1 32-bit, Win11 64-bit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(194 Views)
It appears that you are encountering a compatibility issue with the `dataskt.llb` library in LabVIEW when trying to use shared variables and DataSocket communication between a Windows PC and a Raspberry Pi. Here are some possible causes and solutions to your issue:

1. Check DataSocket Compatibility:
   - DataSocket might not be fully supported on all targets, including Raspberry Pi. Ensure that the LINX toolkit installed on the Raspberry Pi supports DataSocket communication. The LINX toolkit is primarily used for interfacing sensors, actuators, and I/O devices and may not fully support all DataSocket features.

2. Use Network-Published Shared Variables:
   - Instead of using DataSocket directly, consider using Network-Published Shared Variables. These are supported by LabVIEW Real-Time targets and might work more consistently with LINX. Create a Network-Published Shared Variable on the Windows machine and access it from the Raspberry Pi via the appropriate IP address.

3. Install Missing Libraries:
   - Error 1143 indicates that LabVIEW cannot find the required functions. Ensure that all the required libraries, including `dataskt.llb`, are installed correctly. Reinstall or repair your LabVIEW installation if necessary.

4. Rebuild Code Without DataSocket:
   - If DataSocket support is not compatible with your LINX setup, consider rebuilding your communication method using Web Services or other protocols such as TCP/IP, which are more likely to be supported.

5. Check Network Configuration:
   - Verify that network communication between the Windows machine and Raspberry Pi is functioning correctly. Ensure that firewalls or other network security settings are not blocking the required ports for shared variable communication.

6. LabVIEW Version Compatibility:
   - Double-check that the LabVIEW version on both devices is compatible with the libraries being used. Even if the main LabVIEW version matches, subcomponents like the LINX toolkit may have specific compatibility requirements.

Following these steps should help you identify and resolve the issue with shared variable and DataSocket communication between your devices.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(115 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FKhueson

Thanks ChatGPT for that very extensive but also rather general list of "solutions".

Point 3 most likely hits the nail almost on the head, but misses it by a fraction of an inch. 😁 It's not the dataskt.llb that is missing or the real problem but the underlaying tech for datasockets, which is the Logos Network framework. And if it does not come automatically with the installation of the LabVIEW realtime OS on its own chroot virtual machine, it may not be installable by a user either. The Logos Network framework is a larger network protocol layer with Datasockets just being one smaller (legacy) part of it and other things like shared variables and network streams being also based on. It may not have been the intention of NI folks to support that at all on the Raspberry Pi or there may simply not have been any resources allocated to make it work on the Raspberry Pi.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(104 Views)