cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the NI9862 CAN XNET Module running on the cRIO 9047 in FPGA Mode

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI Community,

I am new to this forum and also new with LabView and cRIO.

I am having some trouble getting my NI 9862 running on my cRIO 9047.

I can see the Module in Max. Also, I can use the BUS-Monitor and receive Data of a connected device.

gubernator94_1-1688409634296.png

Unfortunally, there is an error code, for that I can't find a solution:

"NI MAX Status Code: -88705
The specified device is not present or is not active in the system. The device may not be installed on this system, may have been unplugged, or may not be installed correctly."

For me it looks like the hardware is working propperly. So how can I check if everything is installed and activated?

I also tried to put the NI9862 into another 9047. Both was sold in a bundle to me. So I assume, there should be a way of connecting both devices.

It would be nice to get support in this case.

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

gubernator94

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,353 Views)

Where did you deploy the code? Is the VI running under My Computer of the cRIO-9047? You can run the NI-XNET Bus Monitor on the host computer and access the XNET modules on the remote target, but the actual code must be deployed to the RT target.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
Message 2 of 8
(1,328 Views)

Hi ZYOng,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I haven't done this. Just to double check that: I should add the NI9862 to the Real-Time Resource --> right klick --> deploy.
- Is that correct and everything?

Originally there was Labview 2023 64bit installed on the host computer. Also the chassis was set up in 2023. The driver in NI MAX are all of 22.X. 
- Could this be a problem?

In between I have installed Labview 2022Q3 64bit. Before there was Labview 2023Q1 64 bit installed.

I did this, because there was a problem adding and deploying a database in the XNET Bus Monitor saying there are different versions of XNET on the host and the target. After doing all this, the error message keeps the same.

I also set up a new (different) cRIO 9047 in 2022, installing all dirvers for 2022 and using Labview 2022 to have everything in 2022. I have still the same errors.

A collegue of mine mentioned a few problems with the 64bit-version to the 32bit-version of Labview.
- What do you think?

Thanks again for your quick response!

Btw: Is there anyone using cRIO 9047 and NI 9862 for CAN communication?

Best regards,

gubernator94

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,276 Views)

I haven't done this. Just to double check that: I should add the NI9862 to the Real-Time Resource --> right klick --> deploy.
- Is that correct and everything?

That's correct. See Using NI 986x Modules with cRIO-904x or cRIO-905x

Originally there was Labview 2023 64bit installed on the host computer. Also the chassis was set up in 2023. The driver in NI MAX are all of 22.X. 
- Could this be a problem?

This will be a problem. As drivers of 22.x does not support LabVIEW 2023.

I did this, because there was a problem adding and deploying a database in the XNET Bus Monitor saying there are different versions of XNET on the host and the target. After doing all this, the error message keeps the same.

I also set up a new (different) cRIO 9047 in 2022, installing all dirvers for 2022 and using Labview 2022 to have everything in 2022. I have still the same errors.

What is the NI Linux RT System Image version on your cRIO-9047?

A collegue of mine mentioned a few problems with the 64bit-version to the 32bit-version of Labview.
- What do you think?

cRIO support for LabVIEW 64-bit is firstly in driver 2020 Q4. Make sure you have the correct and same version of drivers on both host and cRIO targets. Real-Time Target Not Available in LabVIEW 64-bit Project

Message 4 of 8
(1,267 Views)

Hi ZYOng,

Thanks again for your quick reply!

What is the NI Linux RT System Image version on your cRIO-9047? 22.5

Thanks to your last reply I read that I can ignore one error I get. I will do this for now.

There still remains a problem with the xNET Bus Monitor:

I can read the incomming CAN signals.

gubernator94_0-1688542584370.png

The Bus Monitor has also the option to connect a database. If I want to do this, I have to connect the RT, to deploy the database. If I want to do this, there always comes a message saying the XNET versions of the Host and the Target doesn't match. Sadly, the errorcode reffers to an unidentified error...

gubernator94_1-1688542975274.png

On our other testrigs that are equipped with PXI and XNET CAN hardware we are able to connect the RT and to deploy the database. Also later in the VI it is neccesary to deploy the database.

Do you have any Idea whats wrong? Again, every software and driver are on 22.5.

Best regards,

gubernator94

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,255 Views)

Can you provide the screenshot of the Software list from NI MAX for both the host PC and cRIO-9047?

Message 6 of 8
(1,232 Views)

I haven’t used the 9862 module specifically with a 9047 chassis but with other 904x chassis such as the 9045. AFAIK there is no way to access this module from FPGA. And NI XNET definitely requires this module to be configured for Scan mode. You can still have other modules in FPGA mode.

What is important, is to have the same version of LaBVIEW and drivers on both the cRIO and your development system but the way to do that is usually to install whatever you want to have on the host and then deploy it to the chassis, not to try to match your host installation with what you have on the chassis.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 8
(1,228 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gubernator94

Hello,

I finally did solve the problem. Took me 4 times installing LabView and setting up the cRIO about 3 times, everything in LabView 2022.

I am still not sure what exactly the problem was but I think it was a combination of the previous LabView23 and 22.5 module drivers, LabView 64bit and some drivers and software versions that didn’t go along.

With the final try I installed only the very mandatory software on the host and added after that every driver the system asked for. Everything in LabView 2022Q3 32bit or drivers 22.5.

Also I didn’t had to formate or change any software of the originally cRIO. After the host was setted up as I explained, both cRIO 9047 haven’t had the original problem with not matching XNET versions. I did formate on several times.

If I can use XNET without any further errors, I will find out the next days.

Thank you guys very much for your support!

Best Regards,

gubernator94

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,215 Views)