Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2010 icon editor bugs

I'm a beta user for LV2010SP1 and it is not fixed in this version either

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,397 Views)

Hi Everybody,

Someone alluded to a way to get the old editor back.  How might one do that?

Thanks for replying!

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,394 Views)

@Roger Montague wrote:

Someone alluded to a way to get the old editor back.  How might one do that?

I discuss several Icon Editor options, including how to revert to the old icon editor, in this weekly nugget

Message 13 of 21
(1,385 Views)

Thanks to Darren, and All,

Methinks I've got a couple avenues to use until NI gets the 2010 editor fixed.  I can icon-edit my little heart out!

Roger

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,377 Views)

Not being able to move pixels in the icon editor is a phenominal bug. And the fact that it isn't fixed yet is even more phenominal. Come on NI, get a patch out now!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,148 Views)

www.ni.com -> keyword search: icon editor labview 2010 -> 3rd item that appears will take you to this document:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15218

Message 16 of 21
(1,143 Views)

Many thanks ThSa.

It would be nice if NI made these bug fixes more apparent!

Message 17 of 21
(1,139 Views)

Another 2010 Editor bug, maybe unique to me since nobody else mentions it, is that all lines of Icon Text get put at the bottom of my icon, in a z-pile, all overwriting. And nothing is moveable. So completely unusable. Anybody else have problems with Icon Text?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,071 Views)

@evan1138 wrote:

Another 2010 Editor bug, maybe unique to me since nobody else mentions it, is that all lines of Icon Text get put at the bottom of my icon, in a z-pile, all overwriting. And nothing is moveable. So completely unusable. Anybody else have problems with Icon Text?

The icon editor is supposed to spread the lines over the entire icon. If your icon has its limits set as less than that (i.e. all your layers are smaller than 32x32), then it will spread them there. My guess is that your layers are all in the bottom part of the icon and you need to draw something in the layer which will cover the entire area of the icon.

That said, I have seen cases where this misbehaves when using libraries - the icon editor should ideally use the library banner (the top part) for the library and the rest of the icon for the specific VI, but it wouldn't do it if you have a template, even if it covers the entire area - the text would go into the banner area unless there was another layer specifically to set the size.

(1,058 Views)

@tst wrote:

The icon editor is supposed to spread the lines over the entire icon. If your icon has its limits set as less than that (i.e. all your layers are smaller than 32x32), then it will spread them there. My guess is that your layers are all in the bottom part of the icon and you need to draw something in the layer which will cover the entire area of the icon.

Thanks, tst, this was an excellent clue. For context, I've hand-built about a hundred Vi icons over the years so I have general experience with this process. But the "rules" of icon text placement are still unclear. Do you have a documentation reference about them? That would be great.

Here's what I think I've learned so far, piddling around:

With no template in use (not just an invisible one) the icon text lines will use up to the whole area, 32x32 though there can be squashing as text span increases.

But with a template in use (even if invisible) the icon text placement algorithm works from the bottom up looking for the first pair of horizontal lines (I've tested black only) in the template and then uses up to all the space within those lines for text placement.

I think the new template editor is two steps forward and one step back, as Mao used to say. But that one step back has cost me more time than the two forward saved. I wish they'd waited for the next rev and wrung this thing out before turning us in to beta testers.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,054 Views)