LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

So why were those of us who already had perpetual developer licenses, and SSP's in place, told we could no longer renew those SSP's and that a subscription was our only option going forward?

I was forced, very unhappily, to drop the SSP's for my team's three LabVIEW seats, which I've only been able to replace with one subscription due to the increased cost. 

Message 761 of 813
(1,307 Views)

This is a recent change, as of April 2024, intended for those users who need the perpetual license option for our development software, if the subscription model is not suitable.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
Message 762 of 813
(1,302 Views)

Well, you had to ask, keep asking and be prepared to jump through some hoops. It was not available directly from the web site/quote page.

0 Kudos
Message 763 of 813
(1,292 Views)

@AhmedEisawy wrote:

This is a recent change, as of April 2024, intended for those users who need the perpetual license option for our development software, if the subscription model is not suitable.

Understood. It's great that NI is listening to user feedback and is prepared to back-track on what was a very bad policy change for some of us. But I'm sure you can understand how frustrating this is also... 

Now that all of my perpetual licenses have lapsed, I assume I will have to buy new licenses again to get back on the SSP bandwagon. Not only is that costly, but I'm reluctant to make that kind of investment again knowing that NI could put the rug out from under us on a whim, as they already have last time.

That said, overall I think this is good news for new users working on long-term projects.

Message 764 of 813
(1,292 Views)

@gmand wrote:

Well, you had to ask, keep asking and be prepared to jump through some hoops. It was not available directly from the web site/quote page.

You must have found the right person to speak to?!

I work for a large multinational company with groups of LabVIEW users in teams in multiple countries... We all approached our local NI representatives on this issue, and we were all told subscription was the only way forward. The result is that at least three of those teams have shifted test development to C# - Causing significant disruption to our coordinated test strategy, and a loss in revenue for NI. 

Message 765 of 813
(1,278 Views)

From my original post in 2022:

Back onto Labview; you can still buy the perpetual LabVIEW Professional Development System. Part number:  776678-35WM Available from your local NI sales rep (not online).    

0 Kudos
Message 766 of 813
(1,196 Views)

From my post in 2022:

Back onto Labview; you can still buy the perpetual LabVIEW Professional Development System. Part number:  776678-35WM Available from your local NI sales rep (not online).    

0 Kudos
Message 767 of 813
(1,192 Views)

We understand the challenges that came from the previous decision, hence the recent change (as of April 29th to be exact on ni.com).

Please submit a request for a quote for a LabVIEW perpetual license and one of our sales development engineers will reach out to you through a phone call to discuss the quote and price.

They're also empowered to discount the price. If you need higher discounts, they'll reach out to me directly. Our intention is to regain the loyal customers back.

This was a learning experience and we really appreciate your feedback and keeping us honest.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
Message 768 of 813
(1,128 Views)

@AhmedEisawy wrote:P

Our intention is to regain the loyal customers back.

Then how about not making people jump through hoops? Just have the perpetual option available and don't require people to work for it and not be sure whether they will get it or not.

The obvious and better solution is to get rid of the subscription option altogether or have it heavily discounted compared to the perpetual license (which doesn't mean that the perpetual license should be super expensive. It already wasn't cheap before NI moved to the subscription model. The subscription option should be relatively cheap and then people can select between subscription, occasional perpetual or perpetual+SSP renewals).

The logical thing would be to have subscription a little more expensive than yearly SSP, but NI hasn't been the most logic inclined lately.

0 Kudos
Message 770 of 813
(856 Views)