LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux LabVIEW VIPM cannot install ZeroMQ package (error code: 5000)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I usually use LabVIEW on Windows PC. But a recent project requires Linux OS, so I installed LabVIEW 2024 Q1 Pro on a Linux laptop running Ubuntu 22.04, and I installed VIPM 2022.1 (built 2354), which is the latest VIPM for Linux that I could find. I was able to install several packages that I usually used.

This project requires ZeroMQ, so I downloaded the latest version of "ZeroMQ Socket Library" (3.6.2.112) from https://sourceforge.net/projects/labview-zmq/files/ Based on the description, it should work on Linux OS too.

When I tried to install this .VIP file through VIPM (run VIPM using "sudo ./vipm" on a terminal, then after VIPM opens, click "Open package file(s)" and select the .VIP file), it shows that it was able to be found:

pji_0-1714604020676.png

Then I selected "Add to Library & Install", at first it seems that it was added to the library because it passed that step, even though I didn't see this package in the library. Then I selected "Yes" to accept the license agreement and start the installation, but an error message popped up saying "VIPM could not install the package ...":

pji_1-1714604224858.png

Here's the error details (error code: 5000):

pji_2-1714604272252.png

Is this caused by LabVIEW Linux version? Or VIPM? Or the ZeroMQ package? Or some wrong setting?

One more information (I don't know if it's related): when I started the VIPM, it shows an error message ("There was an error accessing the following repositories..."). But I was still able to install new packages after clicking "OK" to clear this message.

pji_3-1714604728270.png

I'd really appreciate all the suggestions and advice, since I'm new to LabVIEW Linux. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(330 Views)

It's not LINUX it's VIPM. See my post asking about this earlier today.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/VI-Package-Network-Down/td-p/4370151

Unfortunately, no solution yet,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(319 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

I did some search about this issue earlier today too. Some people said that it's intermittent and recovered by itself (https://forums.vipm.io/topic/4330-vipm-not-able-to-access-vi-package-repository-and-labview-tools-ne...), some people said it's due to some malware scanning setting on their web filter (https://forums.vipm.io/topic/3085-error-accessing-repositories-in-vipm-2019/).

But strangely, I'm still able to install other new packages that are shown in the package table, but not the one that I downloaded.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(298 Views)

VIPM is up today, because there's no error on accessing the package repositories any more.

However, the problem I encountered before still exists. When I tried to install the .VIP file for ZeroMQ, it showed that "VIPM could not install the package labview-zmq-3.6.2.112.", with error code 5000.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(250 Views)

Worst case just do the install manually instead of through VIPM. You can either download the latest source from their repo, or you can take the .vip file and change the extension to .zip and unzip it. Then use the "source" file to see where the files get installed too.

And then you will need to compile the C Code into a *.so file for linux, since it only comes provided with windows dlls by default.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(237 Views)

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I tried the manual installation. All steps worked until the last step: I was able to copy all the files in vi.lib, the examples, and the palette, and they all showed up in LabVIEW. And I was able to compile two .c codes to .so files (bonzai.c and debug.c), but there's an error when I tried to compile the final C code ("zmq_labview.c").

Here's the error message:

pji_1-1714670969258.jpeg

Apparently, the problem is: it cannot find "extcode.h" , which is related to memory operation. I downloaded this file from github cintools and copied it to the zmq library folder (same as those C codes), but it didn't work. Any suggestion? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(218 Views)

cintools is part of the LabVIEW install, this includes the extcode.h. It can be found in [LabVIEW]\cintools (probably something like usr\local\natinsta\LabVIEW-2023-64\cintools). You probably just need to reference this in your build so it gets pulled in (as well as the other files in here).

Message 7 of 9
(216 Views)

Thank you very much for the prompt response. I located the extcode.h file and added the full path to the C code. I was able to get pass this stage.

Then there's a new error and a bunch or warnings during the compilation. Here's the error, which is related to pthread:

pji_0-1714674694087.png

I then added the full path to #include </usr/include/pthread.h>, but the error is still there. Is there any issue with the C code (esp. line 634)? Here is the part related to pthread:

pji_1-1714676463457.png

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(205 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pji

Finally got it working.

Here are several actions that I took to fix those issues (I don't know whether they are all necessary):

1. Changed Line 634 of the zmq_labview.c code from "pthread thread;" to "pthread_t thread".

2. Updated the LabVIEW version in the "makefile" file to 2024, 64 bit.

3. Since I'm using 64 bit OS, I changed the handle "m32" to "m64".

4. There's an error showing that "libc-header-start.h" is missing, which seems to be related to 64 bit OS (the default is 32 bit), so I used "sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib" to install the 64 bit library, which cleared the error.

5. Run "sudo make" to make the .SO file.

6. The "lvzmq32.so" file was generated automatically in the "vi.lib/addons/zeromq" folder. which didn't match the zmq_libpath.vi setting and caused another error. So I moved it to "vi.lib/addons/zeromq/lib".

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(182 Views)