LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run labview code on embedded OS

Hi everybody.

I have a project with labview. l,ve don it by PC and labview 2021. now my customer wants to do it on an Embedded OS, we searched many things to find out how run a labview code on the other OS specialy some embedded OS and hardware like Zboard(design by Zynq7000). Can any one help us to understand how run my code in these devices and OS or where should  i research? 

Best regards for you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(691 Views)

LabVIEW runtime has only been validated to run on certain OS and hardware. For embedded OS, the most common one would be the NI Linux RT. If you want to use a Zynq board with FPGA capability, the cheapest option is myRIO-1900. If you want a cheaper alternative without FPGA, you can use Raspberry Pi (Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and LabVIEW.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(661 Views)

@ZYOng wrote:

LabVIEW runtime has only been validated to run on certain OS and hardware. For embedded OS, the most common one would be the NI Linux RT. If you want to use a Zynq board with FPGA capability, the cheapest option is myRIO-1900. If you want a cheaper alternative without FPGA, you can use Raspberry Pi (Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and LabVIEW.

Hmmm... LINX is now the LabVIEW Hobbyist Toolkit and part of the LabVIEW Community Edition, so I don't believe it can be used for commercial purposes.

I believe the only choices for commercial use is the Linux RT you mentioned or just using an SBC that runs full blown Windows. Granted I don't know the OP's application but minimum system requirements for a compiled LabVIEW exe (runtime) are a lot less than what the LabVIEW development environment requires as far a RAM and CPU.    

LVreqCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 5
(632 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@ZYOng wrote:

Hmmm... LINX is now the LabVIEW Hobbyist Toolkit and part of the LabVIEW Community Edition, so I don't believe it can be used for commercial purposes.

I believe that you may have it backwards.  The "NI LabVIEW LINX Toolkit" is available on the LabVIEW Tools Network (through VIPM).  It says that it works with LabVIEW 2020 Base/Full/Professional, from LabVIEW 2020 and later.  It also says

• Note 1: Do not install this package if you are running LabVIEW 2020 Community Edition or later, as the Community Edition already includes the LINX Toolkit.

From this, I conclude that you can use the Toolkit with LabVIEW code that you develop with your LabVIEW "paid-for" license.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 5
(595 Views)

Actually if you have LabVIEW Professional you can install The Linx or Hobbyist Toolkit and can use that commercially. The Community Edition already contains that toolkit but is indeed not for commercial use.

Never try to install any of these toolkits into the Community Edition, in the best case it overwrites the already installed toolkit but it’s highly likely that it makes the entire toolkit unusable without a complete clean installation.

And watch out what LabVIEW version you have, 2020 needs the Linx Toolkit by NI, 2021 and later needs the Hobbyist Toolkit. NI unfortunately messed with the versioning when they renamed the toolkit in 2020. There was a Digilent Linx Toolkit 3.0.1.192 from 2016 and then NI renamed it to LabVIEW Linx by NI Toolkit in 2020 and started back at version 1.0 despite that it is actually an upgrade from the latest Linx Toolkit version 3.0.1. Then they renamed it into LabVIEW Hobbyist Toolkit for LabVIEW 2021 and started using the same versioning scheme as LabVIEW.

Unless you use LabVIEW 2020, it's better to download the Hobbyist Toolkit from the NI site which is similarly versioned to the LabVIEW version numbers and matches accordingly, rather than trying to install the version from VIPM.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 5
(550 Views)