cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding vi's to an exciting labview driver

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello 

I am new to Labview 2019 and i have a question about adding vi's to an exciting driver. 

I have downloaded a driver from the manufacturers website for a power analyzer and i have used the driver and it works fine, but i mis some functionality in the driver and i want to add that functionality.

According to the documentation i have to go to "Tool -> instrumentation -> Create instrumentation driver project". Then i can select "new driver copy an exciting driver ". Then i should be able to select an exciting driver but in the list of drivers i don't see the driver from my power analyzer that i have installed. Why not ?

Or is there a better way to a vi's to an exciting driver ?

Thanks in advance for support

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(363 Views)

Hi Tonnie,

@Tonnie wrote:

I am new to Labview 2019 and i have a question about adding vi's to an exciting driver. 

I have downloaded a driver from the manufacturers website for a power analyzer and i have used the driver and it works fine, but i mis some functionality in the driver and i want to add that functionality.

Does that driver come as LabVIEW project with several/lots of VIs?

Then you can simply add your own VIs to this project.

Recommendation: use some SCC tool (SourceCodeControl) to keep track of your changes!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(349 Views)

Hello GerdW

No the driver does not have a Labview project file. I comes with only vi's, a tree vi and dir.mnu files

kind regards

Tonnie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(335 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tonnie

Hi Tonnie,

@Tonnie wrote:

No the driver does not have a Labview project file. I comes with only vi's, a tree vi and dir.mnu files

Then it is much easier: simply add your own VIs to the driver's folder.

Recommendations:

• Place the driver VIs in its own folder in your own "Sources" directory. Use a SCC tool...
  • Create a LabVIEW project for your driver to manage the driver VI better than a simple Tree.vi can do.
  • I would also create a lvlib from the driver VIs to even better manage the driver API (by hiding internal support VIs).
  • I would delete the menu (mnu) files because I very seldomly place the device drivers in LabVIEW's  instr.lib folder...
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(322 Views)

Hi GerdW

Thanks for your support

I will try you suggestion

kind regards

Tonnie

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(300 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Tonnie,

@Tonnie wrote:

Then it is much easier: simply add your own VIs to the driver's folder.

Recommendations:

• Place the driver VIs in its own folder in your own "Sources" directory. Use a SCC tool...
  • Create a LabVIEW project for your driver to manage the driver VI better than a simple Tree.vi can do.
  • I would also create a lvlib from the driver VIs to even better manage the driver API (by hiding internal support VIs).
  • I would delete the menu (mnu) files because I very seldomly place the device drivers in LabVIEW's  instr.lib folder...

How exciting.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(276 Views)