Linux Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talking to GPIB-USB-HS on Fedora 10

Hello there,

I am a newbie to both Linux and NI software, so please bear with me.

I have a GPIB-USB-HS connected to a USB port on a box running fedora 10 with  2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 kernel. Can anyone please tell me how I can recognize it? I tried the following:

(1) Used gpibexplorer to identify the controller, but I am guessing this works only with PCI-GPIB.

(2) Tried to use the AddUsbRawPermissions.sh, but I don't think this is the right way to go.

(3) Want to use the NIDAQmx because I saw the Measurement and Experiment control on windows machine recognizing the GPIB-USB-HS and the devices connected to it. But apparently this feautre is not supported in the NIDAQmx for Linux.

I am stuck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

U

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,234 Views)

Hi U.

You didn't mention installing a driver, so I would start by installing a Linux driver for your GPIB-USB-HS.  Perhaps this page on

GPIB Driver Versions for non-Microsoft Operating Systems will help.  (I haven't used a GPIB-USB-HS on Linux, so I'm guessing.)

Good luck!

Troy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,323 Views)

After reading my comment, my coworker tells me that I'm totally off my rocker (i.e., wrong.)  Linux kernel version 2.6.24 was the last supported version for our USB devices on Linux, as support for non-GPLed USB drivers in the kernel was removed in 2.6.25.  You may be able to use the Linux GPIB package.

Good luck!

Troy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,323 Views)

Thanks for the tips Troy. I installed NI 488.2 and remember somewhere reading about the lack of GPIB-USB-HS support for current unix kernel versions. Anyway I tried to install linux-gpib, but I am having trouble getting it to work. I don't have the expertise (or the time) to figure out how to do the installation right.

Fortunately though, the device that I am trying to use - SRS DS 345 - supports serial communication and I can talk to it in Labview using the "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi" (labview/examples/instr/smplser.lib). However, the instrument driver for this device ( http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=571 ) only supports GPIB communication. I am guessing I might be able to write my own VI's to get this device to do what it is supposed to do, but it would be nice to have an instrument driver that supports serial interface. Anybody has one

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,323 Views)