LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enquiries about Intel Arduino Galileo

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a suitable place to post this question. May I ask if anyone knows about Intel Galileo? If so, may I ask if Intel Galileo can be supported by LabVIEW or its drivers?

PS: I know that Arduino played a role in making this chip, but I don't want to jump to the gun saying that we can use the LabVIEW toolkit for arduino on this Intel Galileo

Thank you very much.

Warmest regards,

Lennard Chan

Learning new things everyday...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,206 Views)

Hey Lennard,

The Galileo is currently only suppored in Arduino 1.5.5 Beta.  Once it is supported in a released version of the Arduino IDE we can add support for the Galileo in LINX.

Feel free to request this features in the LINX forums once the Galileo is supported in a stable Arduino IDE build.

Thanks!

-Sam K

LabVIEW Hacker

Join / Follow the LabVIEW Hacker Group on google+

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,335 Views)

Hello Lennard,

Even though LIFA or LINX is not yet compatible with an Intel Galileo board you can still use Labview with an an Intel Galileo board.  Instead of using LIFA or LINX use the writing and reading to a virtual COM port capabilities of Labview to communicate with an Intel Galileo board.   For proof I used the Examples > Basics > AnalogReadSerial example that comes with Galileo and the attached VI to read the data.  This VI is not as easy to use as the Serial Monitor built into the Arduino development environment.  But it does show you don't need LIFA or LINX to use Labview with Galileo.

hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,335 Views)

Sam

Intel is using Intel Galileo Arduino SW 1.5.3 on Windows, it is that enough to moving forward with the support in LINX?

regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,335 Views)

Here is Sammy' repaly to a previous reqest for using LINX with Intel Galileo. 

"The Galileo is currently only suppored in Arduino 1.5.5 Beta.  Once it is supported in a released version of the Arduino IDE we can add support for the Galileo in LINX.

Feel free to request this features in the LINX forums once the Galileo is supported in a stable Arduino IDE build."

hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,335 Views)

yes well, i thought that because 1.5.3 was not a Beta, anyway bear with me I'm a new on this

I only had to install VISA, it works fine, i was wondering what kind of stuff I cannot do with VISA?

regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,335 Views)

Attached are a script and VI for demonstrating the use of Labview with an Intel Galileo.  This demo does not use LIFA.   An example for reading data from analog input pin A0 and blinking a LED on digital pin 13 are in the demo.

Use a potentiometer to produce a test signal for this example.  Connect one side of the potentiometer to 5 volts, the other side to ground and the wiper to pin A0.  The LED on pin 13 is built into the Intel Galileo.

To use the demo unpack analogReadTest, compile the script and download the code to your Intel Galileo.  Version 1.5.3 of the Arduino DE is compatible with the Intel Galileo.  Note the serial port the Arduino IDE uses for downloading.

Test the sketch by using Arduino's Serial Monitor to send either an "a" or "b" to the Intel Galileo.  Do not include quotation marks with the character being sent. One analog reading will be returned to the serial monitor for each "a" sent to the Intel Galileo.  The on-off state of the LED will change each time "b" is sent to the Intel Galileo.

For analog readings

Open the VI

Set Visa resource name to the COM port you used when uploading the sketch.

Set Delay before read to 25 ms.

Accept the default values for the other controls.

Enter "a" in the string to write text box.

Press the Labview Run button.

You should see analog data in the read string box being updated once a second.

To blink the LED

Open the VI

Set Visa resource name to the COM port you used when uploading the sketch.

Set the read switch for the read string text bx to off.

Accept the default values for the other controls.

Enter "b" in the string to write text box.

Press the Labview Run button.

You should see a LED blinking at a rate of 1 second on and 1 second off.

hrh1818

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,335 Views)

If you have a Labview 2013 for Linux, you may use it to create a shared labraries from VIs with the code that can be executed directly on Intel Galileo board. Just compile the VI as a shared library without SSE support, copy Labiview runtime to Galieo running IOT dev kit image from software.intel.com/iot , and then you may link this shared library with a file containing main.c which does IO.

As Intel Galileo has both Arduino IO and PC IO (USB/PCIe devices), Labview's signal processing blocks come very handy e.g in processing data from USB microphone on Galileo.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,335 Views)