Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actors with Multiple Packed Project Libraries

It would be appreciated if someone from NI could generate an Actor Framework.lvlibp in LabVIEW 2012.  I seem to be hitting a brick wall with this due to some issues with the AppBuilder.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 41
(2,245 Views)

You're going to have to escalate that through AE channels. I'm completely swamped at the moment and am about to be gone from the office for most of March and April.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 41
(2,245 Views)

There is a known issue with LabVIEW that will not allow the shipped version of the Actor Framework to be built into a packed project library.

Return
Community scoped VIs within classes in a LabVIEW library will break a packed project library and cause Error 3
N/A

Workaround: N/A

Reported Version: 2012  Resolved Version: N/A  Added: 01/29/2013

It is possible to build the Actor Framework into a packed project library after changing all community scoped VIs to public.  However, I'm not sure this is an acceptable workaround.  It would be really nice if this could be fixed in 2013

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 41
(2,245 Views)

I'm not sure if it's related, but you can't dynamically launch a friend's community scoped methods. This is a deliberate design decision, but perhaps might be reconsidered since it might be related to this Actor Framework issue.

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 41
(2,245 Views)

I found yet another issue building the Actor Framework 4.1 into a packed project library.  Apparently something mangles the strictly typed VI reference in the packed library.  See the attached image.

CLA, CTA
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 41
(2,245 Views)

JackDunaway wrote:

I'm not sure if it's related, but you can't dynamically launch a friend's community scoped methods. This is a deliberate design decision, but perhaps might be reconsidered since it might be related to this Actor Framework issue.

Jack, thanks for the information.  I don't see your issue occuring in the Actor Framework, so I don't think it is related.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 41
(2,245 Views)

Hi LVB,

Any advancements on building AF packed libraries? I am about to do it, but your (or anybody else's) experiences are important factors to me in determining the risks of this procedure .

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 41
(2,245 Views)

komorbela wrote:

Hi LVB,

Any advancements on building AF packed libraries? I am about to do it, but your (or anybody else's) experiences are important factors to me in determining the risks of this procedure .

I would not suggest AF packed libraries for production code.  If you want to do some experimenting, it would probably be a good idea to create a different AF fork that is compatible with packed libraries.

At this point in time, modification of the Actor Framework 4.0 is required in order to build a packed library.  Only the 4.0 will work after modification.  4.1 will not build into a packed library due to the VI reference issues detailed in post 24.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 41
(2,245 Views)

Thanks for the help, although suggesting to stay away from using packed project libraries only inspired me . And finally, I made it

So, here are the steps to reproduce it:

- add all the AF related, but not already in the library files, classes to your own copy to the Actor Framework.lvlib (I added all of these, but you can spare if you don't use some of them: Time-Delayed Send Message, Batch Msg, Reply Msg, Self-Adressed Msg)

- I had to change all inlined VIs to non-inlined

- change all community scoped VIs to public

- modify Launch Actor.vi and cut out a part into a SubVI to get rid of the problem detailed in: post 24.

Here is the modified Launch Actor.vi:

Launch Actor modified.png

and the SubVI of it:

OpenRef_if_needed for modified Launch Actor.png

So creating a packed library after these modifications seemed to be successful, at least on my PC.

In case someone needs it I can also share the modified lvlib.

By the way these images are snippets, so if you click on these and save the full sized images, than those can be used as snippets(for example drag n' dropped to an empty block diagram).

Message was edited by: komorbela

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 41
(2,245 Views)

I tried to make a packed project library (PPL) of AF in LabVIEW 2013 also, and I noticed some very positive changes!

Inlined VIs no longer cause a problem, they are automatically changed to non-inlined for the PPL. Also had no problem with community VIs. Not visible in the PPL, just like the private VIs, so I don't know but guess that those are handled correctly as community VIs.

So the recipe to make an AF PPLs became just 2 step:

- add all the AF related, but not already in the library files, classes to your own copy to the Actor Framework.lvlib (I added all of these, but you can spare if you don't use some of them: Time-Delayed Send Message, Batch Msg, Reply Msg, Self-Addressed Msg)

- I had to change all inlined VIs to non-inlined

- change all community scoped VIs to public

- modify Launch Actor.vi and cut out a part into a SubVI to get rid of the problem detailed in: post 24.

To give some more help I attach the project that I use to build the PPL.

Message 30 of 41
(2,245 Views)