Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Week AF Topics: a proposal for ad hoc presentations

David_Staab wrote:

I hope my topic submission gets accepted for NI Week...

Moi aussi. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,164 Views)

Agreed.  Sorry about the digression (and branched topic), but this brings up a sore point of mine about NIWeek and maybe I am bitter about not having been accepted as a speaker last year (not really).

At about 2pm on Thursday of NIWeek, many of the conference rooms had nothing scheduled.  Some of us are stuck in Austin until Friday and while relaxation is good, these 'open' conference rooms provide a opportunity to network on specific topics like AF or AOD.  I don't think a simple open forum would be effective.  Any group meeting needs an agenda.

So, I make this proposal to those that have submitted presentations on AF related topics but not accepted or those that have a topic to talk about but never submitted it to NI, perhaps we can identify a conference room unoccupied later Thursday afternoon.  I am not sure NI will allow this, but I think it is worth a try.

We talked about something like this last year (I think LVB) but it never got much traction.  Any takers or other suggestions?

-Kurt

Message 2 of 9
(3,657 Views)

Have you tried working with the organizers of NI Week 2013 yet? I think communicating this to them first will be more productive than trying to hijack part of the conference without their involvement. If you need a name to contact, PM me and I'll provide an email address for one of the marketing managers who's on the committee this year.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,657 Views)

David,

Agreed, I will PM you.

Others,  I will try to keep you posted, but feel free to express your interest.

Kurt

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,657 Views)

(Between the lead post mysteriously disappearing from the thread I created it in and my other post getting inserted into the discussion well after I submitted it, I'm starting to feel like NI's web site occupies an alternate reality...)

Kurt Grice wrote:

I'm interested.  I have AOD content planned for NI Week that focuses on the principles.  If the presentation is accepted I'll only have maybe 15-20 minutes to cover the material though, so the bonus session could be used to explore the principles in more depth and discuss various implementation options.  I envision it being more of an informal presentation similar to what we get at the CLA Summit rather than a typical formal NI Week presentation.  (i.e. Lots of audience participation asking pointed questions and raising objections.)

Message 5 of 9
(3,657 Views)

Daklu wrote:

I envision it being more of an informal presentation similar to what we get at the CLA Summit rather than a typical formal NI Week presentation.  (i.e. Lots of audience participation asking pointed questions and raising objections.)

Sounds cool. I'm in.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,657 Views)

Daklu wrote:

(Between the lead post mysteriously disappearing from the thread I created it in and my other post getting inserted into the discussion well after I submitted it, I'm starting to feel like NI's web site occupies an alternate reality...)

Kurt Grice wrote:

I'm interested.  I have AOD content planned for NI Week that focuses on the principles.  If the presentation is accepted I'll only have maybe 15-20 minutes to cover the material though, so the bonus session could be used to explore the principles in more depth and discuss various implementation options.  I envision it being more of an informal presentation similar to what we get at the CLA Summit rather than a typical formal NI Week presentation.  (i.e. Lots of audience participation asking pointed questions and raising objections.)

Sorry, I may have caused that disappering.

I like the idea of interaction/participation and very informal.  I am not a CLA so not sure how those go.  I just did not want it to be that we meet and we look at each other waiting for a volunteer.  Impromptu is OK, just not the only thing.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,657 Views)
Kurt Grice wrote:
I am not a CLA...

Yeah... you need to see about fixing that. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,657 Views)

I would be interested in a session discussing challenges with Actor Oriented Design, examples of AOD solutions (real world), and the general state of AOD with LabVIEW.  I agree with Kurt that an agenda would be required.  It would be nice to have someone champion each of these topics and some structure to best utilize our time.

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,657 Views)