Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to AF, Crashing App

Hi all,

This is my first stab at the actor framework. I've run into a situation where my code crashes Labview when I try to use the launcher. Here's the back story:

I'm trying to program a simple, Arduino based controller for some solenoid pumps and valves (i.e. simple on/off, digital devices). I've used the evaporative cooler example as a road map to completing my project. I've made some changes and I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I suspect the issue is in the launcher. As opposed to the example, I would like my launcher to start the necessary actors and then close. Is that possible to do? Or does the launcher need to stay in memory? Attached is a picture of the launcher code.

If that's not where the issue lies, I will need to dig deeper. The current behavior is the code starts, it takes a few seconds for the UI panel to appear. Then is crashes labview.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,845 Views)

I wonder if your problem is similar to this one...

https://decibel.ni.com/content/thread/28207

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,987 Views)

Hi,

Launch the parent actor only by the launcher vi and launch the other actor (ex. UI actor) inside the actor core of the parent actor.

Use Launch Nested Actor to launch the child actor.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,987 Views)

Both architectures should work, however...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,987 Views)

Yes both actor will open one after another

Just try that

1.jpg

System control is the parent actor and GUI is child actor. While launching the parent actor use Launch Root Actor and for child use Launch Nested Actor

2.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,987 Views)

This seems similar, though they were not dealing with an absolute LV crash. I'm already using Launch Root Actor for both the controller and the UI. They should continue regardless of whether or not launcher still exists, right?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,987 Views)

I did not want to launch the UI as a nested actor because as this code evolves, there will be cases where I don't want it to load a UI. This approach is exactly the way the evaporator cooler is setup, aside from the fact that the launcher in that example sticks around.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,987 Views)

OK....it's definitely not the launcher leaving. I tried just putting a simple while loop/event structure with a stop button to keep it around until I'm done. It's still crashing LV hard. The search continues...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,987 Views)

Can u share a bit of our code so that I can find out what is the exact problem.

Can you share the crush reporter screen shot

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,987 Views)

There is no crash reporter. Most times I just get the generic "This program has stopped responding" windows dialog.

I could potentially share the entire code. The project isn't big and there isn't anything work proprietary in there. I'm new to the forums. What is the preferred method of sharing this? It's less than 1MB so I'll just try attaching it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,987 Views)