Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Actor Framework Guild

Those of you who attended either GDevCon NA or GDevCon may already be aware of this, but for those who aren't, some of members of this community have started a group called the "AF Guild". Actor Framework ships with a decent amount of scripting tools to do things like create Actors, their message classes, etc., but we think there could be more.

The focus of the AF Guild is to help develop tools and utilities that make development using Actor Framework that much easier. This applies to developers that are new to the world of AF as well as those who are more experienced with it. If this sounds like something that's interesting to you and you have ideas that you think might be useful to the community, we encourage you to join our Discord server here: https://discord.gg/vYFZ9Qzavs

Joining doesn't commit you to anything, but it's a good place to discuss ideas and the development of new tools in real-time with other AF enthusiasts.

One of the first efforts of the AF Guild was Bowzer the Browser - a utility that allows you to view the public API and the block diagram of payload methods for all actors within a given project. I presented about Bowzer and the AF Guild at GDevCon NA this year and the video should be up the YouTube channel sometime soon. You also even more about it on our blog post.

Some of the ideas for future enhancements we've discussed and are in the presentation are now live on the G Idea Exchange project page. I encourage you to check them out and, if you have other ideas and suggestions, let's talk about them more and get some more ideas out there.

Hope to engage with more of you soon!

CLA CLED AF Guild
Message 1 of 8
(2,219 Views)

Thanks Casey, I just joined. I doubt I'll be able to contribute a lot but I'm excited to learn.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,205 Views)

Casey I just joined the Discord server but I admit I have never used Discord...it keeps popping up an error msg about my microphone. 

What is Discord?

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,653 Views)

For all intents and purposes Discord is a real-time messaging app/platform. You might get an error about your mic if you're trying to join a voice channel and don't have things configured correctly, but if you stick to the text channels you should be alright.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,648 Views)

And welcome!

CLA CLED AF Guild
Message 5 of 8
(1,645 Views)

I'll take a stab at it. Discord is very similar to something like MS Teams and (I think?) Slack.

Basically, a Server (like the AF guild) will have different Channels, either text or voice. You can group these Channels together under a common theme (e.g, these channels are for AF tooling, these are for socializing, etc).

In the AF guild, there are ~18 Text rooms. These are like chat rooms where people can come in and type messages back and forth. The discussion is public. There's also a single Voice channel called "General". You're always able to see text channels, and if you'd like to talk to someone with your voice you can click the voice channel. That will put you in the voice chat room, and anyone in there can hear everyone in there. It's good for quick discussions that you don't need to save or anything.

In this case there probably isn't a ton of activity on the voice channel, so you can likely ignore that one for now (and ignore the microphone error message). I just checked it and there's no one else in the voice channel right now anyway, but there are about 10 people actively logged into Discord who may be browsing the text channels.

The upside to Discord is that it's super easy to use and it's great for dynamic conversations. Think of it like text messages; each comment is short and you go back and forth rapidly. Contrast that to a forum, where each message is generally longer and a lot slower- more like email.

The downside to Discord is that it can be tricky to find old data since the conversations aren't threaded like they are in a forum like this one. The chat is just a neverending stream. It's great for dynamic discussion, and you can search for old chats, but it's not as organized as a forum like this one is.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,644 Views)

For some reasons, I am unable to access this website。is it possiable to make? Can we create a method to convert the content in the tree control into the original data? - Post - V...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,592 Views)

Which website are you referring to? I don't seem to have any problems accessing anything we've linked to - perhaps it's a firewall issue?

In regard to your question, you might get better answers in the general LabVIEW discussion group since the topic doesn't appear to be Actor Framework-specific.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,569 Views)