From 11:00 PM CDT Friday, May 10 – 02:30 PM CDT Saturday, May 11 (04:00 AM UTC – 07:30 PM UTC), ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Level Actor Stop Message not stopping first level nested Actors

I have a top level Actor, "Application Controller", that launches via "Launch Nested Actor" ~seven nested actors (more to come). The "Launch Nested Actor" builds an array of nested actor enqueuers to be used later by the default Stop Core. So Application Controller shouldn't have to override Stop Core and send Stop Messages to each first level nested actor......but all the first level nested actors will not stop if the default Stop Core is used. However, for any nested actors launching their own nested actor(s), the default Stop Core works to stop them.

For example, in the Task hierarchy diagram below, all the tasks in orange will stop through the default Stop Core message from their callers (TLM Controller and UUT Power). Those in cyan will not.

Am I missing something? (Yes, Bill, apparently a brain)

TaskHierarchy.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,609 Views)

Sorry for the obvious question, but in the top level actor, when using launch nested actor, did you wire the "auto stop" input? It should be either empty or true.

I haven't seen the behavior you describe, in my case even if I do something stupid in my nested actor (like forgetting to enable "show front panel when called ) the default stop core of the top level actor stops the actors beautifully.

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,799 Views)

All the "Launch Nested Actor" calls I use do not have the "Auto Stop" wired (defaulted to TRUE).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,799 Views)

Ok, user error.....I'm not carrying through the "Caller Actor Out" from each "Launch Nested Actor" to the next, so I'm losing the nested actor object references as they're "saved". Argggggghhhh...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,799 Views)

Happens to all of us sometimes

"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
― Terry Pratchett
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,799 Views)

BillMe wrote:

Ok, user error.....

*phew* Moment of panic. 🙂