Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 8746 No LIN response to some ID's

Hello, I am using a USB 8746 module for an automotive application, the 8746 is a master. I am successfully sending data to ID's x20 and x30, when I send data to ID 1 I get an error frame for the response (84 0 1 6 0 0 1) The slave is Ver 2.0 LIN spec, I am using enhanced check sum mode. ID 1 is a 2 byte ID and the data appears to be correct before being sent. I am using VB .NET 2010 for the software interface.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,362 Views)

Hi JWilson, 

There is a previous post that was addressed using your device as a master and coding in VB.NET.  Please check out the forum post here.  There is also a link to an additional post in the first reply that will help with the troubleshooting steps that were done with users that were dealing with the same issues.  Let me know if working through this resolves your issue.  

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,354 Views)

Ben, thanks for the reply. I was the person who posted the link you refered me to. I am using many of the 8746 module in are production facility, I have converted the VB6 code to VB .NET, I have successfully used the module with .NET but now running into a different issue, some of the ID's send or receive data different than what I expect. the data appears to be correct when it is sent but is received wrong. Is there plans for a .NET driver? This application will go over seas and I am concerned with the validity of this drivers use in the .NET enviroment.

Thanks JWilson

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,341 Views)

J - 

How are you determining that the data being sent is correct?  If the returned data from the device in question is not as expected, it would seem to be something lost on the device side or the cable to the USB8476.  If you have multiple devices, have you tried it with different 8476s to yield the same result?  

In regards to your other question...there is R&D development to natively support .NET in a future release of the NI-XNET driver.  NI-CAN functionality was bundled into the XNET driver so XNET is the future of NI offerings with auto bus communication protocols.  Potentially if you were looking for a drop in device replacement you would use the USB-9866 which supports the XNET driver and is used for the LIN interface.   

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,338 Views)

Ben, I am determining the data sent is correct by looking at it in the structure before the ncwrite is called. I am able to run the VB6 version and get the correct responses I am looking for, when I close the VB6 app and run the VB .NET app I get different data from the slave. Yes, I have tried another 8746.

Thanks I will look at the 9866 module, as I stated earlier I have serveral of these in use now and would like to stay with the 8746 if possible, will the XNET driver support the 8746 module? Is there a projected release date?

Thanks for your fastr responses JWilson

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,335 Views)

J - 

Let me contact some of the folks in R&D and see if I can get some information on what's in the pipeline for future XNET support.  

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,328 Views)

Hi J - 

I spoke with one of the Product Support Engineers and he mentioned that we aren't able divulge as to whether we are working on it and if so when it may be released.  I can tell you there is customer feedback and we are looking into it internally and adding this support to the driver.  If/when that will happen I unfortunately can't give you an answer (I'm not keeping it from you, I just don't know).  To answer your question about the 8476 support, it only supports the NI-CAN driver currently and would not work with the XNET API.    

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,325 Views)

Ben, That 's not what I wanted to hear, I am trying to think of a solution here I can keep the 8746 module. I have labview software, is it possible to call a labview vi from my dot net application to do the LIN comm? does the 9866 module support VB .NET with the XNET driver? Thanks for the replies and good information. JWilson

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,323 Views)

J - 

You could potentially use NI-CAN VIs and then build .NET assemblies (check out info here).  It's not exactly an ideal solution given that you would have to maintain the .NET API but it is a potential work around for the time being.

You could do this with XNET VIs as well if you were using the 9866, but to stay with your current hardware you'll need to maintain the NI-CAN driver.    

Regards,

Ben N.
Applications Engineering
ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,321 Views)

Ben, Does the driver for the 9866 support the .NET enviroment? Can I run the 9866 from .NET without the vi's? Thanks JWIlson

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,318 Views)