Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XNet 16.0 Database Alias Change?

Solved!
Go to solution

Was there a change in XNet 16.0 that put extra limitations on the names that an alias can be in a database?  A user of my software is seeing a strange error saying they can't have anything in their alias name other than upper or lower case letters, numbers, underscore, and dash.  The software I wrote takes a DBC and adds it and assigns an alias that is the file name of the DBC, but this doesn't appear to work anymore.  I'm fine with updating my software to replace characters with underscores since this is just an internal alias that the user doesn't need to know about, but I didn't see this listed in the change log.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,008 Views)

Hello,

I just did some testing with XNET 16.0 as well as XNET 15.5, and it appears to be showing the same behavior as you are seeing right now. Was there a particular version of XNET that you were using before that allowed any file name with other characters?

Best,

Shamik C

Applications Engineer 

National Instruments 

http://www.ni.com/support 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,968 Views)

There were additional restrictions introduced in XNET 16.0 to resolve an issue with special non-ASCII characters that are sometimes found with Japaneese character sets. 

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,960 Views)

The version was 15.x not sure if it was 15.0 or 15.5 but the systems have been updated, so it is difficult to test.

If there is a reason for it that's fine, it just seems very restrictive.  The dialog seemed to say only upper and lower case letters, numbers, underscore, and dash.  Allowing no space, and no parenthesis are the ones that we had previously used.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,955 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hooovahh

The change did limit the acceptable characters to:

• Capital Letters (A-Z)
  • Lower Case Letters (a-z)
  • Digits (0-9)
  • Underscore (_)
  • Hyphen (-)

Which mostly mirrors the C variable naming rules. I will forward your feedback on the restrictiveness to the team.

Jeff L
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,952 Views)