Biomedical User Group Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless ECG using bluetooth

hi everybody......

i am an electronic and communication Engineer, i am working on a project related more on  BIOMEDICAL engineering but at the same i found it so interested, i am working on WIRELESS ECG and acquire the signal using labVIEW2009

i start the work with a bluetooth module can work as a serial port, so because of i am using bluetooth i have to think how i can make the bluetooth talk with labVIEW, i tried to work with the bluetooth functions but at the end i find out its better to use VISA and call the port from there.. at that time i start to study how i can acquire the signal, so i come with few ideas

1- ECG must have a hardware which should be consider as: the electrode then OP AMP then ADC, i will test the circuit using DAQ NI-6008 coz of its 24 bit and the signal will be pure if the circuit is working.

2- if the circuit is working i should use the PIC to make the module talk with it.

3- then the signal should send using the module as an output.

4- acquire the signal will set the COM port, and draw the waveform of the heart beat as a real time.

my questions are

1- the COM port cant accept more than 8 bit so if i want to use 10 bit ?

2- i got some problem with the bluetooth for my DELL laptop, so i find out its better to use a dongle and bluesoliel software as a 3rd party to PAIR the port and manage the IP things, is what i am planning is correct ? at that time i will not have to worry about the dongle if it supported by labVIEW or not coz i am using serial connection?

3- i port a VI and i think this design can be good to acquire the signal (not tested yet coz no sensor), i hope can be checked and inform me if have anything have to add ?? ( i know its to early but have to study this thing first and make sure i am still on the safe side)

i run a test on my module using hypertermial and i found it work (means i used the AT command)

any help will be appreciated

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(15,111 Views)

Hi

First I will remind you that the your 6008 board has 12 bit resolution not 24. But let us take your questions

"1- the COM port cant accept more than 8 bit so if i want to use 10 bit ?"

The comport can transfer bytes. If you need 10 bit you have to send 2 bytes and and merge them in Labview to a I16 numeric type. This is not a problem. But you have to design a protocol to for your data transfer. As you must be able to synch the receiver to the transmitter. It is also better to send data in chunks. Then I design software that creates charts. I always use an update rate around 20 Hz. For the human eye it will look like a continuous chart

"2- i got some problem with the bluetooth for my DELL laptop, so i find out its better to use a dongle and bluesoliel software as a 3rd party to PAIR the port and manage the IP things, is what i am planning is correct ? at that time i will not have to worry about the dongle if it supported by labVIEW or not coz i am using serial connection?"

I do not know this unit. But if it works for you, you should use it;)

"3- i port a VI and i think this design can be good to acquire the signal (not tested yet coz no sensor), i hope can be checked and inform me if have anything have to add ?? ( i know its to early but have to study this thing first and make sure i am still on the safe side)"

Sorry but I did not quite understand this question

I also took a look at your With your settings you will be able to transfer 9600/20 10 bits samples pr second. That will give you a signal bandwidth equal to 240 Hz. I think it will be better to have a bandwidth more like 480 Hz. Your transfer rate should also be slightly higher than your data rate.     

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,560 Views)

hi CoqRouge

thanx for your reply.i am trying to work with the serial port so i will use a PIC16F which can transmit 8bit and i think its fair enough to send the ECG signal. bluesoleil 6.4 is a 3rd part software and its function is to open a diver for the bluetooth to connect with nay kind of devices like my bluetooth module , so when i run the software i can search for any device when i find my module i can create the virtual serial port as an incoming and outgoing and each will have a number like COM5 and COM4. all i have to do is to chose the port from VISA resource name and thats it. so is it the assumption that i made is correct or not ???

i found a VI but its only difference  is its only like the advance serial read and write, i will post it to show you and hope can recommend me which way to flow is better means go ahead with mine or try to modify the new one.

thanx for any advice sir.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,560 Views)

I think you are a student, and this is a student project. Nothing wrong in that, but you should have told us that from the start. By the way, I  hope you have given the medical safety regulations some time. If not, just do it. Here is a start http://www.devicelink.com/mddi/archive/04/06/001.html. And as always Google is your friend

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,560 Views)

CoqRouge

thanx for keep replying me. i am Communications and Electronics Engineer and my title was how i can make the ECG signal send by bluetooth module and modify the labVIEW to acquire it ONLY means i dnt have to analyze of go throw advance things related to Biomedical Engineers, so my job is to make the signal can be seen in the VI and thats all, i have a bluetooth module from parallex company and its work as a SERIAL COM PORT, so i used the bluesoleil software as a 3rd  party to connect the module with Dell laptop and i connect it to a PIC16F to control the signal and i send ASCII code and i found it works normally with the 7 segment (when i press a number from the laptop i can see the segment changes according to that number) i work on few VI's some of them i design and the other i did not i found them then i modify abit. i read that there area way called NI-SPY can be used to check the type of the data that the bluetooth can send, do you have any hints about this way ??

the link below shows the module and i will post the VI's i am willing to use so plzzzz and recommendation will be helpful 

thanx in advance 

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/550/Default.aspx?txtSearch=easy+bluetooth+module

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,560 Views)

Just one question, are you programming the uC?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,560 Views)

Could you also provide some schematics explaining how you plan your system?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,560 Views)

CoqRouge

sure i must use a PIC16F 8bit and that MCU will program to control the bluetooth module means :

ECG electrode----- AD624AD (Instrument amplifier) --------- PIC15F (will work as the ADC to the ECG)-------bluetooth module--------bluetooth dongle-----bulesoliel-----VISA (labVIEW )

ECG electrode and the instrument amplifier=  will apply using the documents in the attachment below

ADC =as an inital satge i will use the DAQ NI-USB 6008 which will work as an ADC , THEN will program the PIC16F to work as a ADC and to connect it with the bluetooth module to send the ECG signal.

bluetooth dongle= will make sure that the bluetooth module in the area of it and using BLUESOLIEL to create the serial COM port and pair the bluetooth.

VISA= have to built a VI will acquire the signal and modify it until get the pure signal of the ECG.

As i know when ever the BITS will be better for the signal to be accurate but i have to use 8 bit which programing this kind of PIC will be easier and less noise. Until now all what i did is to post the previous VI's and

program the PIC16f and 7-segment and a decoder connected all in  bread-board with the bluetooth module, after i pair the module and number i press on the keyboard i can see the number on the bread-board light the 7-segment.

any other informations i can inform you sir.

(hope you can check the wireless-ekg its an alternative idea recommend by other person so which you recommend me to fellow )

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,560 Views)

You do have proper RS232 level conversion between your Bluetooth device and your PC serial port. If not Google max232

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,560 Views)

CoqRouge

i used it before, but i knew that if i want to use max232 means i have to connect using a CABLE not using the bluetooth signal which is 2.4GHz.

other thing, i will use PIC so is it that means i have to use max232???

is it if i want to use the DAQ 6008 to acquire the signal from the ECG sensor or as we called it the amplifier for the ECG ???

i used multisim 10 something called ECG signal with many types of circuit using many op-amp but until yet i did not find any type from the instrument amplifier can work, so any tested circuit can work sure using multisim ???

thanx for all the ideas.

(the two attachment i design )

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,560 Views)