BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW or C? Could you rephrase the question?

If you haven't seen it, here's a new article I thought you breakpointers might enjoy.

--------------

Brittany Wilson

brittany.wilson@ni.com

NI News Managing Editor

Message 1 of 27
(10,476 Views)

Good article.  I'll have to point to it next time I am asked.

I like the analogy of bread, sandwich and cake..  All this talk of food is making me hungry.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(10,445 Views)

I just started down the C++ path this last month. We were asked to develop software for a new company for their product. We were told explicitly that we could not use LabVIEW. They did not want all of the concerns that came with LabVIEW (i.e.. Runtime engine, the look the feel and the perceived poor operation of LabVIEW). No matter how hard we tried they were having no of it when it came to LabVIEW development. Good by to my nice comfy LabVIEW and hello to MFC.

This C stuff is a lot of work. I will have to say that I can appreciate a lot more of what LabVIEW does for me out of the box. Drop a string on it and I can start using it right away. If I do the same thing in C++ I can start using it in about 20 mins. There is a lot for me to learn. I can see the real power with using C++ in that I can make it do what I want it to do verses what LabVIEW lets me do. I spend a lot more time developing.

I will let you know how it all ends up after we are done in a couple of more weeks.

Tim
GHSP
Message 3 of 27
(10,378 Views)

@aeastet wrote:

[...] Good by to my nice comfy LabVIEW and hello to MFC.

I thought that the MFC days are gone!  Condolence.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(10,307 Views)

Bummer, I thought this was another competition and I was back to defend my title. What a let down. 

Good article though...except now I'm hungry.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(10,272 Views)

Sorry to disappoint! :). It has been a while since our last contest, so I'll be thinking. Maybe whoever can come up with the best LabVIEW related food analogy?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(10,269 Views)

@bcwilson wrote:

Sorry to disappoint! :). It has been a while since our last contest, so I'll be thinking. Maybe whoever can come up with the best LabVIEW related food analogy?

LabVIEW: Easy as1!.PNG?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 7 of 27
(10,233 Views)

@bcwilson wrote:

Maybe whoever can come up with the best LabVIEW related food analogy?

Labview is like a bag of wheat (or flour). Can be used for a large number of things, and contains the occasional bug.

Message 8 of 27
(10,166 Views)

Those haters! Smiley Wink  . I run into the same thing sometimes-- what I have seen is an organization gives the task of building some kind of measurement or test system to a sometimes experienced and sometimes senior engineer but LabVIEW newbie, newbie spends money of perhaps inappropriate hardware and foists the system upon the organization, system does not work very well, eventually said person leaves for greener pastures. Code is a dog's breakfast, consultants tell them it will cost to fix it. Said manager thinks--- "we should have just hired a 'real' software developer in the first place and use a 'real' language " . 

I like to counter this by countering with some companies and organization that use LabVIEW successfully for much larger and higher risk systems-- SpaceX for Mission Control / Rocket launch, National Ignition Facility to run their ginormous fusion machine for example. If it's good enough for them, it's probably good enough for your silly little teststand! 

Message 9 of 27
(10,107 Views)

MarkCG, don't forget the Large Hadron Collider

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(10,085 Views)