BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI News Question: What kind of instrument would you design?

Greg,

I know that rules do not bother some people, but I did not want someone who was unaware of the rules to get in trouble unknowingly.

I tried to ignore that part of Ben's comment.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 58
(6,450 Views)

@Erik_J wrote:

Haha, I love the creativity of these applications. Especailly the wireless home monitoring/control, and cell phone jamming while driving.

My ideal application for the VST is a bit more nerdy. I'd use it to experiment with new wireless protocols, trying out things like 1024-QAM!

Back on the more "on track" approach to this thread (I invite side discussions elsewhere like here.)
The VST seems like a "If you build it they will come" type of new Software defined hardware for test instrumentation. Not only do I applaud NI for pioneering this technology, I will receveive TWELVE (12) VSTs.  Why? My customer needs them to provide a solution that was otherwise unavailable with effective technical support.  So, Without drinking the "Kool-Aide (tm)"

Is everything ready for prime time?  No, but no other vendor is RFPT either with any hardware (and no software that provides me with a soloution.)

PS I do want a ride in the local NI sales rep's new car.  I bet it is nicer than a Delorean.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 22 of 58
(6,441 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

Greg,

I know that rules do not bother some people, but I did not want someone who was unaware of the rules to get in trouble unknowingly.

I tried to ignore that part of Ben's comment.

Lynn

I tought that a little hypocrasy would cast the absurd idea in the proper context. Yes, at one time I was qualified for a first class FCC licnece and am aware that it is not allowed. Where is my tongue in cheek emoticon when I need it?

I have found intorducing the rediculous into a brainstorming session is often helpful. So staying on that note and concidering the auto-cell phone jammer is out of the question for the moment, I'll move to a more practical idea.

Spoiler
Q to readers
Spoiler
Is it a good idea or bad to make all moving vehicles a cell phone dead zone?
Spoiler
Why or why not?

Spock's tricorder.

That thing was a general purpose instrument if I ever saw one. It could detect alien life forms at a distance and could analyze the chemical composition of plants rocks and lava monsters (what was that critter called? Damn it Jim I am a doctor not a brick layer!"). I have heard about an issue where people are trying to pass of bogus gold bars in reaction to the rising gold price. A hand help gizmo that could virtually "bite the coin" to see if it is real could be worth its price in gold. Smiley Tongue

But chemical and structural analysis was just part of what it could do. It would be a good side-track if we were to just start by trying to list everything Spock used it for.

Example:

Add a dozen pentodes and some wire and it could replay the past. ("Edith Keelar must die!") .

So how close could we get to a tricorder? 

And before we wander down into that fruitless corner, apps running on cell phones do not count.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 23 of 58
(6,416 Views)

Making it a "dead zone" will just be punishing all of us for the deeds of the idiots. My ancient cheap-o Droid phone gives me all the dashtop mobile I need, most of it hands-free.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 58
(6,398 Views)

@Ben wrote:
Spoiler
Is it a good idea or bad to make all moving vehicles a cell phone dead zone?
Spoiler
Why or why not?

Assuming emergency numbers can still go through, I think it's actually a good idea. I often find what is "urgent" can actually wait. And if you tell someone sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was driving and they get mad, well they are a moron and you probably shouldn't be talking to them anyways. That said, it is frustrating because in general I have no problems talking on the phone and driving (as long as I know where I'm going already).  But I will also say, I have had a couple brainfarts as I zoned out while on the cell. While they are few and far between, it's important to keep in mind when you see that "idiot" it could be the one time per month he has that same brain fart. So try not to be so quick to judge, it happens to the best of us. Luckily I have never been in an accident that is my fault *knocks on a gigantic piece of wood*, but since I moved to the Dallas area 3 years ago I have seen three rolled cars. And, since I actually moved into the city 5 months ago I have driven past over 10 serious accidents (yes I keep track because it is quite remarkable to me) and been rear ended. I can't help but wonder what caused them and if it is stupidity or distractions that is the root cause. Note: the two are not mutually exclusive. P.S. sorry for the rant.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 58
(6,387 Views)

I know that most of the time there is a big SUV with only a single driver, but the typical carpooler actually has passengers and they should be able to make calls.

Driving while calling or texting is illegal in California, but this seem summarily ignored. A casual count show about 20% of drivers fiddling with a cellphones while driving.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 58
(6,417 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

I know that most of the time there is a big SUV with only a single driver, but the typical carpooler actually has passengers and they should be able to make calls.

Driving while calling or texting is illegal in California, but this seem summarily ignored. A casual count show about 20% of drivers fiddling with a cellphones while driving.

This is a good point. And then it gets tricky; what if they were changing a song on the radio? How is that different than changing a song on the media player on your phone? How do you draw a line? And even if you can (lets be honest, you can tell if someone is texting or just making a quick check or selection) it just will all become he-said-she-said and will be a huge mess anyways.

Sorry, Brittany. In typical breakpoint fashion we have destroyed this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 58
(6,413 Views)

Right, the whole passenger-in-a-car thing. IMO it comes down to discipline more than laws. (Read: PAY ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, %$#@$#@ERS!! :))

And it's not just cellphones. It's the televisions, DVD players, laptops, newspapers, screaming children in the passenger seat, GPS's, radioes, etc.... see above comment.

Or just ride a motorcycle.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 58
(6,400 Views)

We always had rules about distracted driving, so none of these new laws should be necessary.

" But officer, I wasn't calling or texting, I was only using the phone to enter my destination into Google maps!"

I always picture some driver, cell phone stuck between shoulder and ear, dripping greasy burger in the other hand, boiling hot coffee between the legs, hitting a deep pothole. 😮

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 58
(6,389 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

This is a good point. And then it gets tricky; what if they were changing a song on the radio? How is that different than changing a song on the media player on your phone? How do you draw a line? And even if you can (lets be honest, you can tell if someone is texting or just making a quick check or selection) it just will all become he-said-she-said and will be a huge mess anyways.

Sorry, Brittany. In typical breakpoint fashion we have destroyed this thread.

Ha! I'm used to it by now. I think I might be subconsciously posting these questions in breakpoint purely for the entertainment value, rather than my intended purpose of engaging with users. No matter how off track it gets, though, SOMEONE IS STILL GETTING A TCHOTCHKE. There's no getting out of it. 

Message 30 of 58
(6,386 Views)