BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the coolest thing you've done with LabVIEW?

@Terry_ALE wrote:

Break into a totally new industry where FPGAs are used but not with LabVIEW FPGA.  Read more: http://www.wallstreetfpga.com/fixcancel

(You should clarify that you are actually using LabVIEW FPGA, but that the industriy has not done so in the past. Your sentence could be read the wrong way, i.e. that you are not using LabVIEW FPGA to break into a new industry ;))

In any case, this is so cool. Back in 2005, I was trying to push LabVIEW FPGA for non-I/O-centric pure computations. I think the discussion is still relevant. 😄

LabVIEW FPGA for pure computation, CELL processors 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(7,376 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Terry_ALE wrote:

Break into a totally new industry where FPGAs are used but not with LabVIEW FPGA.  Read more: http://www.wallstreetfpga.com/fixcancel

(You should clarify that you are actually using LabVIEW FPGA, but that the industriy has not done so in the past. Your sentence could be read the wrong way, i.e. that you are not using LabVIEW FPGA to break into a new industry ;))

In any case, this is so cool. Back in 2005, I was trying to push LabVIEW FPGA for non-I/O-centric pure computations. I think the discussion is still relevant. 😄

LabVIEW FPGA for pure computation, CELL processors 

Thanks for the clarifying! 🙂

We have papers on using LabVIEW FPGA for analytics as well but the one I posted above does have I/O in the form of Ethernet via the Prevas Mimas Gigabit Adapter.

For more info see the NI group called "LabVIEW in Finance" http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/labview-in-finance and a LinkedIn group called "Wall Street FPGA" http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Wall-Street-FPGA-2354499

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
Message 12 of 36
(7,306 Views)

Test. Jet. Engines. [USAF]

Engine.f15.arp.750pix.jpg

Message 13 of 36
(7,276 Views)

@TaylorYork wrote:

Test. Jet. Engines. [USAF]

Cool!

I was involved in the Fuel pumps that I BELIEVE is now flying on the new JSF.

So we are related!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 14 of 36
(7,267 Views)

Hi!

I have done 2002-2003 a SMS receiver with connected cellphone.

SW receives SMS with address and units associated with alarm. Then it prints the map of the address with alarm information into paper for each unit.

After that timers for each unit responsetime starts and shows status of response times.

All persons attending, responses with SMS as their status OK/NOK, coming, or their delaytime to respond.

A status display for personell is also shown on computer display.

I have now much more better approach for programming but as the old is still functioning... i havent started this hobby programming of mine as it requires also HW that costs 😞

Juhani

A volunteer firefighter

Message 15 of 36
(7,252 Views)

I admit I've always been impressed with Terry's work. I remember reading a paper of his on Monte Carlo simluations using FPGAs several years ago and felt like I had just experienced a breakthrough. Who knew LabVIEW, specifically LV FPGA, could make an impact on the financial industry?!? Thanks for sharing, Terry!

And jet engines will always be impressive. Thanks for sharing the pictures, Ben and Taylor.

Andy Mil - where can we learn more about your syncronized telescope application? Do you have a company website? It sounds really cool. I hope things are coming along well.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(7,228 Views)

Well, it's not me, but a friend of mine was using Labview to develop neural network simulations to test hypotheses about the triggering and spread of epileptic seizures.  During a conference he showed videos of robots connected to his networks to provide environmental input to them as they were having seizures.  He also had a childrens toy dog seizing during the talk.  I think the room full of neurologists and physiologists in the room had chills run up their spines when they saw this.  It was creepy.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(7,185 Views)

A digital Jukebox.

For a hobby project, I programmed a jukebox governed by a Labview application running over a Windows computer.

I developed an small circuit to implement a remote control, and the input of 4 buttons on the machine. Later I added a third party developed coin-slot device that precisely detected the coins. This circuit provided the data to the host application via RS232.

I developed a user interface built on Macromedia Flash, an also integrated a MS-Access database where the paths to the MP3 and videos where stored, and where I recorded the events of the machine, like the music selection, the available music charts (you could change it from the remote control), and the coins received.

A friend of mine built the wood enclosure and all the other hardware elements.

It took over a year, but we really enjoyed building this.

Rockola

Mauricio Vidal
VIDAL & ASTUDILLO Ltda.
http://www.vidalastudillo.com
Message 18 of 36
(7,168 Views)

In LV 1.2 we developed a system which tested the hearing of rats.  It involved sending a tone at various frequencies and amplitudes (5 - 40 kHz and 0-120 dB SPL) followed by a noise burst at maximum amplitude.  The noise burst would trigger a startle reflex if the animal had not heard the warning tone.  So by measuring how much the animal jumped we could get an indication of its hearing.  The purpose was to test the effect of environmental contamination on fetal development.  The LV program had a 27 frame stacked sequence structure! (I do not do that anymore).

We used MacADIOS function generator for the tones, MacADIOS 8-bit DIO for controlling the attenuators, and MacADIOS A/D converter (8-bit) for measuring the startle response (SCSI interface to the computer).  We also built sound absorbing boxes for the animal cages, load cell signal conditioners, 120 dB attenuators, and miscellaneous logic.  27 circuit cards in total.  It took two of us about two years.

A direct descendent of that program (state machines, no sequence structures) is still being used to stimulate rabbits while monitoring their brain waves.  This program has helped neuroscientists begin to understand the learning process.

Lynn

Message 19 of 36
(7,156 Views)

@johnsold wrote:
(SCSI interface to the computer).

Ah SCSI.  i had a SCSI CD-ROM in teh days.

Kudos for anyone who knows what SCSI stands for without googling....

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(7,138 Views)