Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-certification an alternative

Hi Guys,

I wanted to chime in here. This is not the first time a “recertification course” has been proposed. We realize that some people do not like multiple choice exams, and as such, we have examined other options. I wanted to make sure you guys were aware of some of the changes to the Certification Program that we announced in September:

• Because of improvements in the efficiency with which we can deliver and grade multiple choice exams, the cost of these exams, including the CLD-R and CLA-R, was lowered to $99.

• For those who prefer the practical exams to the multiple-choice, for the next year we will be piloting a program where recertifying Developers and Architects can re-take the practical exam at the original re-certification price, $199. The addition of new problem scenarios to our question bank should ensure that those recertifying with the practical exam will not receive the same scenario they initially certified with.

While a recertification course has been suggested in the past, there would still need to be some type of gate-keeper exam to follow it (to ensure you didn’t doze off… 😉 ), which would land us in a similar situation- do we test to that course? Can people attempt the exam without the course? Will the content in that course be published elsewhere online for those who can’t make the course? Would this exam be at the end of the day or at a later date? If someone fails the exam, should they get another attempt for free? Definitely an interesting challenge.

Regards,

Mallori

Mallori M
National Instruments
Sr Group Manager, Education Services

ni.com/training
Message 11 of 15
(4,871 Views)
Thank you Mallory. These type of threads need to be put to an end. I know your hard work will pay off handsomely. extra kudos!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(4,859 Views)

I for one am through with Certification.

The multiple guess test is only testing the ability to memorize obsure data from the training material.  I did study the latest study material and it did not help.

The CLA-R does NOT test fot the abilty to Create Modular, Maintainable Software that is loosley coupled with Tight Cohesion.

I have been doing this since 1989 and my software designs are still operational in the wild.

They have been upgraded to some of the new features but the basic Architecture is still there.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(4,697 Views)

Hi,

We offer three possible re-certification methods for CLD or CLA, 

1) The practical exam

2) The CLD-R / CLA-R multiple choice exam

3) The rewards program (currently for the US only)

Our policy is to maintain and upgrade the exams on a two year basis, we improve all our exams and preparation materials based on feedback, metrics, and continuous improvement processes.  We always are reachable at certification@ni.com for any questions regarding a specific exam that was taken.

In Q1 2014 a new set of preparation materials will be available for the CLA practicle exam.

Mark Ramsdale
Customer Education and Certification Project Manager | Training & Certification | National Instruments | Mark.Ramsdale@NI.com

Mark Ramsdale
Program Manager & CLA
Global Demo and Equipment at National Instruments
Message 14 of 15
(4,692 Views)

You acknowledged that the CLA-R is convoluted and difficult if a viable solution is to go through the entire 4 hour certification exam.

I may try again with the new set of questions - maybe the frustration will have worn off by then.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(4,690 Views)