Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shortcuts, Quick drop during remote exam (PSI)

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All,

I've booked my exam in a month time and I've read on the forum that there were issues with shortcuts. I would like to know more, especially so I can adjust my workflow. I gather that ctrl+w (as a way to close Labview window) will not work as it will close the chrome window, but what about quick drop, would that work OK?

It is a bitdifficult to keep track of all threads where the problem with shortcuts are mentioned. So maybe this thread could be a summary of the problem. Unless there is a main thread I missed, if that's the case please let me know.

Many thanks,

Piotr Golacki

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,465 Views)

@piterx wrote:

It is a bitdifficult to keep track of all threads where the problem with shortcuts are mentioned. So maybe this thread could be a summary of the problem. Unless there is a main thread I missed, if that's the case please let me know.

Well, the current system is about 1 month old.  And in that time, I have only seen 2 threads discussing issues.  There is this one discussing the CLD specifically: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/Online-CLD-Experience-useful-tips-for-interested-test-takers/....  And then there is my experience (or lack there of) of taking the CTD: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Certification/Online-Exam-Experience/m-p/4054510 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 8
(4,449 Views)
Solution
Accepted by piterx

Hi all,

There are a few keyboard shortcut that captured by the browser window that cannot be passed through to the exam environment. 

CTRL+N

CTRL+W 

CTRL+T

Are the three that I am aware of that DO NOT work on chrome. I have not tested other browsers. 

This stackoverflow thread explains a bit more on why these shortcuts don't work. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38838302/any-way-to-override-ctrln-to-open-a-new-window-in-chrom...

Nate

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
Message 3 of 8
(4,447 Views)

@CertifiNATEtion wrote:

There are a few keyboard shortcut that captured by the browser window that cannot be passed through to the exam environment. 

CTRL+N

CTRL+W 

CTRL+T

Are the three that I am aware of that DO NOT work on chrome. I have not tested other browsers. 

2 of the most common shortcuts I use.  And PSI only works in Chrome.  I'm not sure I would survive taking a LabVIEW exam in such a system...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 8
(4,427 Views)

Shortcuts save you considerable time, they are pretty handy. I was hoping that the certification team would find a way to solve this issue since it has been lingering since the beginning.

I managed to work around, as I mentioned in my feedback.

But it was a bet and I would not recommend anyone to use that method unless and until someone from the certification team approves of it. In the later case I will be glad to share the complete method with the forum members.

Best Regards,
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Certified Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,336 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@CertifiNATEtion wrote:

CTRL+N

CTRL+W 

CTRL+T

2 of the most common shortcuts I use.  And PSI only works in Chrome.  I'm not sure I would survive taking a LabVIEW exam in such a system...

Yes, it would be great if there was a solution for this.

Another disadvantage to the online exam is that no time is given to set up the LabVIEW environment, so any time spent re-shuffling your shortcuts and options counts towards the 4 hours.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,275 Views)

Does the ctrl+space work at least? It's time consuming to search through function palette. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
System Test Architect
Electrical Engineering
JLR
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,005 Views)

Hi, 

I have already answered that question here.

Yes, the CTRL+Space works during online exams.

Harutyun Habashyan 

Quality Assurance Engineer 

NI

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,990 Views)