Continuous Integration

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing LabVIEW and VDM over multiple VMs and docker containers

Solved!
Go to solution

@Hansel  just to be clear, from a FUNCTIONAL standpoint, there is no difference between the "development" licenses, and "debug" licenses.  The editors features are fully available in both tools.  The only difference between those two licenses is from a legal usage standpoint.  Development licenses are meant for development tasks (building new functionality, new applications).  Debug licenses are meant for debugging/fixing existing functionality, existing applications).

The EULA change specifically related to CI/CD workflows is unique to CI machines.  The assumption is you are using the license to do fully automated tasks (builds, automated tests, etc).  You are actually neither developing new code nor are you debugging, (unless its debugging your automated process, which is allowed in the language of the EULA).  Using the tools in a fully automated way is something NI includes in the functionality of what you purchased by buying LabVIEW.  In most cases, these CI tasks are done on a different machine than the development tasks.  Therefore NI simply added a clause in the EULA saying that it is fine to install an extra copy of LabVIEW to your CI machine so you can automated the builds/tests for the applications you built with your development license.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
Message 11 of 21
(2,088 Views)

@cbutcher @AudioVideoDisco 

1. CI licenses in the VLM tool are "counted" licenses, just like everything else
  2. You can ask for as many CI/CD licenses as you need, but NI assumes that you have a "reasonable" number of CI machines
    • In the single-seat case we assume that you have the same number of developers as CI machines.  That may not always be the case but its a reasonable starting point.  In the volume case its harder to estimate.  The number of CI machines doesn't scale linearly with the number of developers. Not everyone even has an automated build/test process. So we allow users in the volume case to request the number of licenses they need. 
  3. Depending on your Docker/VMWare images, you may not need a separate license for every container/image you create.  If you do, this is one of the ways where having more CI licenses than developer licenses makes sense, since you might have a lot of different testing scenarios, but in the end, it is all one set of tests in order to qualify the build as "release" quality.
Message 12 of 21
(2,084 Views)

@cbutcher @AudioVideoDisco - I'm checking on the licenses for things that are "addons" to LabVIEW.  You asked specifically about the VDM license and I'm including that in my research but I applied the same query to all Modules and Toolkits.  I'll reply back when I have an answer.  I can tell you that looking at what that license file currently activates, you will still need to use a developer license for the CI machine for anything that isn't included in LabVIEW Professional. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(2,080 Views)

Thanks @cbutcher @EricR for your help with this and for making things much clearer.

@EricR it would be really great if VDM and other toolkits were included in the agreement but I understand we're not quite there yet. The responses here are a huge help in informing our decisions for VLA renewal. Hopefully some toolkit licenses can be added to this agreement as time goes on (I would push for particularly VDM as I'm guessing this is the most common add-on, plus it's great).

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(2,054 Views)

@AudioVideoDisco -  I actually received a correction on what I posted last night.  The VDM tools ARE included in what the CI/CD license activates, but the other modules for LabVIEW are not, at least currently.  I'm still running down the "why".

Message 15 of 21
(2,033 Views)

@EricR wrote:

@AudioVideoDisco-  I actually received a correction on what I posted last night.  The VDM tools ARE included in what the CI/CD license activates, but the other modules for LabVIEW are not, at least currently.  I'm still running down the "why".

This is great news thanks for digging into this @EricR - it greatly simplifies things on my side from a licensing perspective.

Next question is, how do I get this license into my VLA? I guess there's a part number for VDM for CICD?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(2,018 Views)

Hi Eric, did you ever manage to track down the "why"?

I'm also wondering about the "how" in relation to managing VDM licenses for CI/CD using Volume License Manager. Should I just statically license them using the individual license key?

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,917 Views)

It seems that the only way to attribute a VDM license to one of my CICD machines is to Create a Home License for it? Is that true?

I'm worried that by doing so I will be moving outside the terms of my license agreement.

I already have LabVIEW licenses for CICD using part number 786474-35

I just need the VLA part number for Vision Development Module. Can I use the same part number for VDM?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,879 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AudioVideoDisco

Sorry for the long delay.  The notifications for this thread appear to have stopped telling me there were additional replies.

The information about the CI/CD licenses so you can add them to EAs/VLAs is here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/21/labview-licensing-for-continuous-inte...

You seem to have already found the correct PN.  That license should activate the VDM.  If it doesn't in your system, please let me know and we will open a support ticket on it.  You should NOT need to create a Home license for it.

Message 19 of 21
(1,866 Views)

Thanks, I'll give that a try

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,861 Views)