ni.com checkout is currently experiencing issues.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freq_out with visual c

I'm using a NIUSB-6211, I want to know how can I use freq_out pin to generate a pulse train and how can i and how can i route  it to any counter.

Thanks a lot,
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,797 Views)
Hi Alberick!

If your card is already recognized by your system and you can access it from MAX then you are half way into getting what you need. If you are using measurement studio then you have to create a task and configure the generation of the pulse train and indicate what counter do you need it at. You can find an example of how to do a pulse generation and output it through a counter here.

Also there is more information about this on the following links:

I hope this information helps you.
Best regards and have a great day! 🙂

Oswald Branford
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,782 Views)

Hi Oswald

Thanks for your help, I'm checking all the examples that you sent me and I'm sure they can help me. But there is a pin in the NI DAQ 6211 named freq_out and I want to know how can i use it?. I hope that you can help me again.

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,777 Views)
Hi Alberick,

You can program the freq_out signal for your 6211 using a regular counter output example that installs with NI-DAQmx. You can find it in your C:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\DAQmx ANSI C\Counter\Generate Pulse\Dig Pulse Train-Cont folder. The C program here just needs the correct terminal to output, in your case the physical channel input needs to be "Dev1/freqout" (if your 6211 is Dev1). Please be aware that the freq_out terminal only has certain allowable frequencies it can output at.

Hope this helps!

Abhinav T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments India

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Measurement Fundamentals
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,768 Views)
Hi Abhinav

Thanks a lot  for yuor help.

Now if you have time, I want to know how many counters can work at the same time, and if is posible use counters and analog output at the same time.

Thanks a lot again 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,761 Views)
Hi Alberick,

You can use 2 32-bit counters on your card. The freq_out pin is connected to the output of an additional 4-bit counter. You can use all three of these in your program.

Yes, it is possible to use counters and analog output at the same time as long as they are in 2 different tasks.

Abhinav T.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments India

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
Measurement Fundamentals
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,755 Views)