cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci 5154 sampling rate

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

What is the max sampling rate of PCI 5154 for two channel inputs? The manual indicates the 2GS/s is for a single channel only. Then, am I not able to get a 1GHz bandwidth for simultaneous two channel measurements? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,916 Views)

Hi gbhaha,

The ADCs on the 5154 are 1 GS/s each.  2 GS/s is realized using both ADCs in conjunction with one another.  Take a look at the block diagram for more information on that.

Operating on a single channel will provide 1 GS/s/ch, which in turn only allows up to ~500 MHz signals to be seen, effectively giving you a bandwidth of 500 MHz.  The analog circuitry, has a bandwidth of 1 GHz, so you may experience aliasing.

Additionally, you may operate using equivalent-time sampling on a single channel to capture up to 20 GS/s of a periodic signal at 1 GHz bandwidth.  This can be done on both channels simultaneously.

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,904 Views)

Hello Chris,

Thanks a lot! Your answer gave me another question. Based on all documents and manuals for PCI5153/5154, I think both digitizers work like;

single channel input-TIS mode-2GS/s max, allowing 1GHz bandwidth

dual channel inputs-1GS/s max, allowing 500MHz bandwidth

Then, why does your manual of 5153/5154 have 500MHz/1GHz bandwidths, respectively? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,899 Views)
Solution
Accepted by gbhaha

Hi gbhaha,

First off, the TIS mode allows up to 20 GS/s using one ADC, while your real-time sampling uses both ADCs simultaneously for one channel.  Take a look at those diagrams I linked in my first post for architectural details on that.

Regarding the difference in bandwidth between the 5153 and 5154 - the 5153 has 500 MHz of bandwidth in its circuitry, even when acquiring at faster sampling rates.  The 5154 has 1 GHz of bandwidth, which is why it is more expensive.

Regards,

Regards,
Chris Elliott
x36772
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,886 Views)